Convert under stair space to utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if this is within the abilities of your average plumber?

I would like to free up space in the kitchen so thought that i could use the cupboard under the stairs. It already has a light and oddly enough a small radiator. I imagine the main issue is being able to remove the waste water. If the waste pipe has to be laid under the existing floor does this mean that a) expensive digging up the concrete floor (although i am replacing the current laminate so maybe not so bad) and b) some assistance eg a pump to help remove the wastewater.

The basic layout is a ground floor flat with bedrooms in the front rooms going out to the bathroom then kitchen/lounge at the back. The stair cupboard is in the entrance hall.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
How far away is the understairs from a drain? You dont have to bury waste pipes. Or any pipes for that matter.

Hi Steve,

The nearest waste pipes are about 2m away in the bathroom which is across the hallway. Do you mean that having to bury pipes is not a good idea?

No I just got the impression from your post that you felt it was nessecary :LOL:

It isn't, and its best to have them accessible. If you can, for instance, raise the washing machine up on a sturdy shelf, so its drain is higher, you can have the slope you need to the drain outside. I mean a very sturdy shelf too. A piece of worktop, with timber legs, fixed to the wall at the back. Washing machines vibrate a lot. Might be worth having a lip around the edge to stop it vibrating off the shelf! And if you go this way, you can have the tumble dryer or fridge below it. (Tumble dryer requires vent for steam or water) (fridge/freezer requires vent in any door on the cupboard)

You might not even have to raise it up. An inch drop every 2 feet would seem a reasonable drop, but i'm not a plumber!

Sponsored Links
Y raise it? as the machine pumps wateer out, and also is already raised because of the clip arrangment at back of machine you have to have the pipe higher up anyway...... so just wack the machine in and get the pipe out best possible way, if you have an access point further way or mid way thats fine, keeping the waste pipe straight as possible if you are going to bury it is ok , as you can then be able to poke it if it is ever blocked.

Turning the pipe makes it harder to clean out if you get me

Steve is right. It would be better not to bury the waste pipe. The problem as I see it is that you cannot get the pipe across the hall any other way. Do you have any other drains you could use? There might be a rainwater gully somewhere but that won't help if you have separate drains for rainwater and sewage. Your council should be able to tell you what you've got and what kind of water you can put where.

One in forty is a good slope for any drain. Al-yeti is right about washing machine pumps but I like to plan for breakdowns. If a machine is going to overflow I want the water to reach the top of the drain pipe first, not the soap dispenser. It's a risk you might have to take.

Perhaps the answer is a much longer run of pipe. You can do this if you increase the diameter after the first 2m or so. This will stop a long column of moving water from sucking your trap out but you have to be careful with your slopes to make this work. You don't want any sagging loops. If there are bends in this long pipe you should also put access points in such that each long run can be rodded. Do a rough drawing and ask yourself how you would clear any hypothetical blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back