Converted loft, suspect condensation, ridge vents fitted but humidity still high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently had my loft converted to a storage room, floor board raised, walls/ceiling/rafters fitted with SF19+ for insulation, the house has soffits all around and the old gable vent removed and 2 velux windows installed. I had ridge vents installed today expecting humidity levels to drop but they stayed the same.

The loft space is empty awaiting carpet fitting + painting, it is currently 10 degrees C and 80% RH there and above the ceiling it is 8.5C and 88% RH (I have a few Govee hygrometers), I believe this is what caused my plasterboards to be wet a few times and I can see the felt "sweating" through the ceiling light hole. It's also breezy when I put my hand in the ceiling light hole. Originally I thought I had a leaking roof so had people over to repoint the ridge/hip and it was strange that the wet patches shows up days after it has rained, in the meantime I've kept the loft closed and no wet patch since but consistantly high RH. I know when the room warms up, the RH level will drop, my concern is the condensation making the truss/plasterboard wet.

Am I overestimating the RH levels to drop suddenly or does it take days to drop/stabalise? I recently used a dehumifier running for 2 days straight and it can drop the RH levels in the 70s but no less.

What else can I permanently do to reduce the RH in the loft/ceiling? The hatch is currently closed most of the time and the rooms below are around 20C/50% RH. I don't know if painting the walls/ceiling + installing carpets will help or make it worst.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back