Converting a single bed to a loft/cabin bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone suggest the safest but easiest way to convert a child's single pine bed into one of those cabin/loft type beds? I'm sure it can't just be a matter of fixing wood stilts to the beds legs- could anyone suggest if it is possible? If so, what type and thickness of wood should we use? What fittings should we use?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Putting the legs on stilts wouldn't be a sound idea, unless the stilts are part of a connected framework which is designed not to spread, or collapse.

You could design and build a separate cabin from board material, sufficiently rigid to take the load, then mount the existing bed on top securing it for safety. You'd also need to provide a suitable ladder and guarding around the (now elevated) bed.

However, you would have to consider whether the cost of materials and the labour are worth it, compared with the cost of buying a purpose-made cabin bed.

you need to physicaly tie the legs mechanicly to the new legs

you could do this if you have side and front made from 12mm mdf but you need decent diy skills to do the job safely have got decent diy skills!!!!

Sponsored Links
I have decent diy skills, and i probably wouldn't do this.

I also have three kids each with cabin beds, and they get some stick with kids climbing and fighting on them... i'd say it's not worth the risk personally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back