Converting a Single to a Loft Bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Oracles

I have a regular wooden single bed and had an ephany to put a loft bed there instead.

Could i make a baseframe and simply sit the single on top of the new supports?
image.jpg image.jpg
The current bed legs are nice and square, what sort of joining tool/bolt/mechanism could i safely use or would it be safer to build from scratch with the legs in one piece?

Thank you

Nat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 224
Sponsored Links
You could drill holes in centre of leg and use metal dowel to add to structure.

keeping in mind you need steps and rails i would say it would be cheaper and easier to source a second hand one
what tools do you have and how good are your diy skills

Hi both,

I saw a bunk bed in the charity shop being held together to metal dowels so i will use those as Foxhole also said.

I will have a look to see if any second hand frames are available but i do like making things and enjoy little projects. I am not a professional, but i am not afraid to try something if i have the strength, appropriate tools and time, can be fun!

Ta

Sponsored Links
does the bed have any central legs underneath??

these beds are often poorly made and only just function if nothing goes wrong
when it does it can often happen without warning now a drop off a few inches onto the floor is unlikely to do much harm but from a height could be very much worse

when i make high level beds i use 6x1"[21x144mm] for the frames and have the ladder vertical giving support at a position about 1/3to 1/5 from one end i also use 4x1"[21x95mm]for the slats and i space them between 65 and 75mm giving around 70-80% more strength than fast grown often very knotty carp they use

Thanks for the extra thought Big-all. Makes sense for the ladder to to provide structural strength.

I'll review the current wood too. I did have to modify the bed when i bought it as it was a smidgeon too long for the space, but i dont recall the quality of the wood now as was a while ago.

The bed is hardly ever used, so much wasted space above it where i could have myself some desk space back. It never occurred to me to use a loft bed!

i make many a high level bed in alcoves where the mattress will fit in but not the frame
you basically fit a baton around the wall for the slats to sit on extending beyond the alcove onto the end off the front leg
with 2 rails above onto the leg as well with batons to tie into the wall
you then have a full front going side to side as a normal bed terminating into the other wall or onto a leg if a part handrail is needed
in other word only the front looks like a bed as the walls form all or some off the rest off the bed support

Last edited:
should also mention the frame also ties into the wall and the leg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back