converting a singleskin outhouse to office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create an office in a large outhouse which is only single skin. I plan to fit a floating floor over the slab floor, then stud wall linings and boarding into the ceilling vault? What is the best way to insulate and prevent damp. And the details round windows and ext doorwhere I create reveals? It does not need to be to regs but dry and warm.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Fill all the stud voids with foil sandwich foam board (i.e. celotex, kingspan etc) then foil tape all the joints.

You may also want to make the window openings in the studwork larger than they need be in order to get say a 25mm sheet of inso' around the reveal, prior to boarding.

Adding another thinner layer of inso' across the studs, prior to fixing the plaster board would be a boon also. Foil tape these joints too.

Install vents top and bottom to your outside wall to allow air flow behind stud work. Most inportant is to ensure you seal the inside to prevent any warm air reaching your outside cold walls. I find the easiest and simple way is use polythene taped and sealed to create your moisture barrier. Really you want to be air tight to your outside walls. Barrier on before plasterboard.

How do you fix the plasterboard to the studwork without penetrating the moisture barrier?

Adam

Sponsored Links
By having sections of polythene sheet taped to the studs etc, so the fixings go through the tape, not make holes in the sheets?

Or use foil-backed insulation and beads of sealant.

How do either of those stop the fixings penetrating the barrier? The tape or foil-backed insulation is still part of the barrier.

Adam

How do either of those stop the fixings penetrating the barrier? The tape or foil-backed insulation is still part of the barrier.
The question was about fixing the PB to the timber. If the VCL does not continue over the timber it doesn't get penetrated.

But other fixings for attaching things to the wall might penetrate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back