Converting central heating to sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Soon after I installed my new oil central heating system (open vented) using a Danesmoor 15/19 boiler I was advised I should have installed it as a sealed system.

I hope to get round to converting to a sealed system shortly but am hoping someone can give me some advice.

As far as I am aware it is a fairly simple job. In principle all I need to do is remove the header tank in the loft & replace it with an expansion vessel. At the same time I need to fit a pressure release valve.

I assume it is not important whereabouts in the system these new components are fitted?

I note Screwfix supply a range of expansion vessels 8 12 18 and 25 litre. How do I decide which size is most appropriate?

Thank you

Mike

Sponsored Links
The main thing, and I haven't a clue about any oil boiler, is the the boiler has a built in overheat stat. Has your's got one?

This is a requirement for a sealed system.

If its working ok then don't bother converting it to sealed. If it ain't broke and all that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Everything is working fine and has done for the last 12 years. However I seem to remember that the water in the header tank in the loft gets hot when the central heating is switched on. Just seems a pity to waste heat in the loft.

Since I posted I have read other posts asking for the same advice and I have realised fitting a sealed system is not as straightforward as I first imagined. In particular I did not realise the sealed system was not left connected to the mains and would have to be checked periodically to see if it needs topping up. I thought it would be OK to leave it connected via a pressure reducing valve and non return valve so topping the system up would be automatic.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back