Converting Coal Shed to an Office - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As working from Home more and more and finding it difficult with wife and two young kids round my feet, i'm toying with the idea of converting a brick shed into an office. I've already emptied it and it's enough space for a desk, chair and file cabinets etc.
The Facts:
It's brick with no external vents, flat roofed, , raised solid concrete floor and dry inside and the structure is shared with the neighbours
I'll be replacing the timber window and door with UPVC ones.
Some Advice Please:
I'm Planning to put studs on the wall and ceiling and line with plasterboard and a suitable insulation in between.
Is it advisable to spray / paint the brick work with a damp proofner?( Whats the Best product for this?)
Will it need external and internal vents? If so how many and the best places for them?
Will a dampproof mebrane and thin insulation be sufficient for the floor.
The Electrics will be done before by a local electrician.

Is there anything else i'll need to bear in mind.

Many Thanks

And A

Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
If its got an opening window, why need a vent? Fit one if you really feel the need, but fit an optional cover on it, so you can close it up in the winter...

If its brick and dry, then just get the walls plastered, if you do decided to go for plasterboarding then SPOT baording is quicker then putting up studs/lats.

The floor you say is raised, I asume dry too... then some foam backed carpet tiles will be fine...

If you so desperate to insulate it then dont forget ull start to loose space as the walls come in, the floor comes up and the cieling becomes lower.

In my opinion, is go for the quickest / cheapest option and get your sparks in to do the wiring, Plaster the walls, skim the cieling and paint it white, then add the carpet tiles....Quick and easy is sometimes the best way to go...

Hope thats helped..

rgds

MA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back