Conveyance records vs title deeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a retaining wall at the back of my garden that retains neighbours land. It is slowly failing. Cost of repairs is likely to be in £20,000 mark.

I know that common law dictated that the responsibility lies in the person whos land is being retained, unless it says something in the deeds.

My title deed does address walls/fences, but only states that I am responsible for maintenance of walls with Inward T, and the remaining of the boundaries will be deemed as Part Walls. There is a NOTE which states wester wall has inward T, but the retaining wall is eastern. My land conveyance is dated 10/05/1957

My neighbour deed is very limited, and states these things (among others)
Property register: "The Conveyance dated 19 September 1958 referred to above contains a provision as to boundary structures."
Proprietoship Register: "The Transfer to the proprietor contains a covenant to observe and perform the covenants referred to in the Charges Register and of indemnity in respect thereof"
Charges Resgister: "A Conveyance of the land in this title dated 19 September 1958 made between (1) Ernest Gilderoy and (2) John Hanson contains restrictive covenants. ¬NOTE: Copy filed."

There is clearly something in the "conveyance of the land 19/09/1958" that perhaps could be about the retaining wall. Is there a way to get hold of such conveyance?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, my question was if I can get access to historical conveyance records.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I have already downloaded title deeds. But those deeds are referring to Conveyancing dated to 1950s and I am wondering if I can find those conveyancing papers? I believe they may say who is responsible for the wall ?

Did you read to the bottom of the info where it mentions the old deeds

oh, you mean this

"If the property was already registered when you bought it, the seller may not have handed over the original deeds. There’s no requirement for them to do so. Tracing the original deeds for a property that has been bought and sold many times is likely to be an impossible task."

Well, this sucks.

I guess we will need to speak to the neighbour and most likely go to the court....

I thought it said that the conveyancing solicitor might hold them.

Ah, I see what you mean.

That was in 1959...I wonder if that solicitor is still alive?

The conveyance copy is being held at Land Registry. I requested a copy. Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back