cooker and hob installation help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok ive bought a new single oven and a ceramic hob

My kitchen had an old cooker in it, but this wire is only the red and black ones, but has its own designated plug socket

Could i wire the hob into this still?

Also the cooker has a flex already with a plug connected, can this be plugged into any mains socket?

Cheers for help

Sponsored Links
My kitchen had an old cooker in it, but this wire is only the red and black ones

Thats not a problem so long as there is also an earth (cpc)

but has its own designated plug socket Could i wire the hob into this still?

Depends on the csa of the circuit cable & the hob rating (Kw)

Also the cooker has a flex already with a plug connected, can this be plugged into any mains socket?

It could but I always put the oven/hobs on their own circuit via a cooker isolation switch, even if they come with flex & plugs.

says overall power is 6700

also how would i check there is an earth?

sorry if that sounds dumb

Hi Marky
Not to put a downer on you .. but if you are that unsure as to what an earth (cpc) is then I would suggest for your own safety , ( and that of your family ) that you employ a qualified sparks to check your circuit and connect appliances . Your life is worth it .
As the manufacturers instructions state that the appliances should be installed by a competant person . If a fault developes on your new appliance and it has not been installed correctly any service engineer that you have called out will most likely refuse to touch it , and also your warranty will be be invalid ( check your instructions ).
Hope this helps .
Phill

Sponsored Links
It could but I always put the oven/hobs on their own circuit via a cooker isolation switch, even if they come with flex & plugs.

Do not cut off the plug and wire the cooker dirctly into the cooker connection unit. This will invalidate the warranty of the appliance.

Oh yes it will!

Wire the hob to the cooker outlet point behind the cooker

Plug the oven into a 3-pin socket.
For this purpose I would wire a single socket to the cooker outlet point. This means both the oven and hob are isolated by the cooker control switch above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back