cooker and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just registered and my first post.

I'm installing a Neff ceramic hob (6.6Kw) and SMEG oven (6.1Kw) on independent wall outlets.
I'm using the existing 6mm supply (to the old oven) to feed the hob and I've run a second 6mm supply back to the cu to supply the new oven, each protected by a 32amp mcb.
So far so good (I think).
SMEG instructions says to use 2.5mm2 to connect the oven to the wall outlet switch. Neff only specifies H05 VV-F - no rating.
Is 2.5mm2 flex OK to connect the oven to the wall outlet?? Why is 2.5mm2 OK for the last 500mm, but 6mm required back to the cu? Also, will 2.5mm2 be OK for the hob. It's almost impossible to get the 6mm cable into the appliance connectors.
Should I use 4mm2 flex at this load?

Many thanks for any advice.
Don

Sponsored Links
Isn't 4mm² a little low for a 6.6kw hob?

I only ask because I've seen somewhere that it's rated to 25amps/6kw. I understand diversity calcs but wouldn't it be safer to use 6mm², especially if it is protected by a 32amp MCB?

Sponsored Links
4mm is used on 32 amp radial socket circuits. ;) Its fine. Rated to something like 36 amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back