cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
since my new oven runs at under 1kw could i extend the circuit as a radial around the kitchen? obviously using 4mm2 wire.

Sponsored Links
To do what? Socket outlets? You can wire a radial 30A socket circuit wired in 4mm² depending on how long the 4mm² cable is and how it's installed. You'll need to fuse the oven down using a fused spur unit. Are you sure it's less than 1kw? RCD protection for any sockets reasonably expected to supply equipment outdoors. Please note this work is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs.

yes for sockets.

i wanted to use the cooker circuit for the kitchen sockets.so that in the future i could use the current kitchen circuit 20amp for the the bedrooms' sockets. (the current sockets are placed to make this easy) i only thought of doing this after i saw the oven's rating ( http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4907044.htm ). i havent checked if it's plugged or needs to be wired in. prpobably the latter. kitchen is only small appx 12-15sqm so a radial shouldnt be a prob. just wanted to check so i dont waste money and time before the pir.

sorry.. one more q. i knew it was notifiable but im still allowed to do it myself right? and for you guys out there nervous for my life i will get a sparky to check that its all proper!

The figure quoted for the oven is its consumption in KWh, this is kilowatt hours i.e. so you can find out how much it will cost to run (your electric meter will also be in KWh.) This figure almost certainly won't be the KW rating of the oven. Worth checking the manufacturers website for.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
The figure quoted for the oven is its consumption in KWh, this is kilowatt hours i.e. so you can find out how much it will cost to run (your electric meter will also be in KWh.) This figure almost certainly won't be the KW rating of the oven. Worth checking the manufacturers website for.
Thats daft. Surely if you run the oven hotter, it will use more KWHs

I thought that too, but it is there in black and white on the argos website. It maybe refers to the ovens at a set temp in a set ambient temperature for comparison? Any argos reps in the forum? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back