COOKER/HOB CIRCUIT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have read the various ways in which to wire an electric cooker/hob circuit. I am currently having my house fully rewired including new consumer unit. Which is the ideal way to wire the electric oven and hob?

1) Single control unit to serve both oven and hob
2) Seperate circuit for each

Please advise

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually, a single 6mm cable to CCU. From CCu another 6mm cable to cooker outlet.
You can then connect from there to your cooker and from your cooker to your hob (or otherway round if you prefer).
If you think that at some time in the future you might have a range then use 10mm cable.

that's a common and economical way to do it, but I don't think it's ideal. One result is that you have an oven (typical max demand 10-12A) on a 32A MCB.

So I'd say the ideal was the 32A 6mm supply to the hob (or 10mm if as you say there might be a huge electric range one day) and a 2.5mm supply for the oven; either with a 16A MCB and a local switch, or with a 20A MCB and an sFCU. this will be capable of supplying a typical 20A double oven if the householder later decides to get one.

Or, if you're feeling extravagant and the oven is on the opposite side of the kitchen to the hob, put a second 6mm (or 10mm) supply to it, so you can change your mind one day and have the hob or range there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back