Cooker hood bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my turn to ask for advice.

My 2 cooker hood bulbs (240V)keep blowing rapidly, by this I mean within about 1 or 2 mins of replacing them. No fuses or trips blowing.

Is there a component in the hood that could have gone? I can see nothing other than the basic on/off switch.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
And are you bang on sure the replacement bulbs are absolute like for likes.

What model hood is it and have you still got the manufactures hand book with stated bulb size in it?

probably vibration from the fan motor. Filaments are very delicate when they are white hot.

The good news is that you can now get CFLs (energy saving lamps) in small sizes, including candles and SES if you need them. i picked up an SES at Wilkinsons for mine the other day for about £1.50 and it will probably last for years and years. CFLs do not fail easily. they are also very tolerant of voltage fluctuations.

The only prob may come if the fitting has been designed for a short lamp as CFLs are usually a bit longer.

Yes they are the exact replacements that we have always used as from new.

John, they are blowing before the fan motor is even turned on.

My other half likes to leave these on to 'decorate' the kitchen. in fact every room has to have a couple of table lamps on to give that 'show home' look, even when no one is at home :rolleyes: :mad:

Bet she wouldn't if she had to pay the leccy bill :LOL:

Sponsored Links
maybe you have a loose connection then.

CFLs are cheaper to run and difficult to blow.

Go on, buy a few

If you are a British Gas customer and do their online Energy Saving survey, or choose paperless billing, they will send you some free.

I've found that these fit just nicely into my cooker hood.

I've not had a blown lamp for a long time now :D

Not on my cooker hood. That would be silly.

(The rest of the kitchen lights are though) :LOL:

not

gas4you,i found a few in the past where the lampholder isnt up to much and the live pin has been pushed out of place(if es type)the lamps can then short out

gas4you,i found a few in the past where the lampholder isnt up to much and the live pin has been pushed out of place(if es type)the lamps can then short out

Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back