Cooker Hood Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have installed many cooker hoods in my time, but I am after some advice on how to get round an issue, if possible. I would usually placed a fused connection unit next to the hood, and take the feed from the nearest socket on the ring main (providing it does not already have a spur off it) but the customer has already had their kitchen tiled around all the sockets making them not accessibale without pulling the new tiles off the wall. They have a stud wall at 90 degrees to the left hand side of the hood, housing the fuse box on the other side. Could i run a radial circuit with a small MCB directly from the box to a FCU next to the hood? Thank you for reading and hope you can help, leeroy

Sponsored Links
There are easier ways than a whole new circuit.

You could provide a spur off an the existing ring final in the kitchen at the consumer unit itself. Then install an FCU in the kitchen* for the extract.

You could power the cooker hood from the lighting circuit.

* From your question, I'm guessing that you are a DIYer and not a registered electrician?
If so note that any electrical work that you do in the kitchen must be notified to the local authority BEFORE work commences. All work must comply with the relavent standards - typically BS7671.

When you say "the customer" coupled with the statement that you have installed many then I tend to think you must be in the trade.

Am I correct?

Has the job been notified to your local authority?

Thank you for your prompt reply TTC.

The lighting circuit will also present a difficult task as their only light fitting is the other side of the room.

How could I provide a spur off the existing ring final at the consumer unit itself?

I am not yet a registered electrician, recently finished my course and am working for an electrician. Only trouble is, he is on holiday and not around to ask. When I have installed them before he notifies the relevant bodies when carrying out special works, then also checks and tests before signing off. I will just be routing the cable. I have only ever known to spur off a socket, to a FCU, then to the hood.

Regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong at all with what you suggest, Leeroy, my only query would be around routing the cable and whether you can hide it, or if the cistomer doesn't mind if it's visible - but that's not an electrical consideration.

PJ

As well as a spur from any point or any place on the ring you can spur at origin as well so long as only one spur per place although to be fair it wont make any difference how many spurs are connected at origin (providing that the terminal accept them OK)

ok

Suggest you install the FCU as you "normally" do. Run a length of 2.5mm² T&E to the consumer unit location, leaving a metre free for connections.

Then, when your electrician comes back from holiday (another holiday) he can inspect the work you have done and make the final connections in the consumer unit, test, certify and notify the whole thing.
Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back