Cooker hood ectraction,,

JC1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help,we have an New kitchen fitted and an all Electric Hob and oven,with Cooker hood Carbon filter,,we have benn told by the local building inspector that we require an external fitted extactor fan,i informed him that it is an all electric unit and still he insists on the fan
the kitcken has 5 Top opening windows,, Is he right or what

Sponsored Links
The building inspector is always right, (even when he's wrong!)

A builder friend fell foul of this bit of regulation when he fitted a carbon filtered extractor.

I think the way it was resolved by said friend, was by venting the extractor externally

we have benn told by the local building inspector that we require an external fitted extactor fan,i informed him that it is an all electric unit and still he insists on the fan

what makes you think that an electric cooker gives off less steam than a gas one. :?: :confused:

ALL cookers heat food, therefore all cookers produce large amounts of water vapour.

any water vapour producing appliances warrant a fan that exhausts the air externally.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help,we have an New kitchen fitted and an all Electric Hob and oven,with Cooker hood Carbon filter,,we have benn told by the local building inspector that we require an external fitted extactor fan,i informed him that it is an all electric unit and still he insists on the fan
Ca you explain exactly why is BC involved with you fitting a new kitchen?

we have benn told by the local building inspector that we require an external fitted extactor fan,i informed him that it is an all electric unit and still he insists on the fan

what makes you think that an electric cooker gives off less steam than a gas one. :?: :confused:

ALL cookers heat food, therefore all cookers produce large amounts of water vapour.

any water vapour producing appliances warrant a fan that exhausts the air externally.

Carbon monoxide?

Ca you explain exactly why is BC involved with you fitting a new kitchen?

Part of new extension?
Ah well, that changes everything; you need to read (& abide by) the current Building regs. which include a requirement for external extraction.

I totally refurbed my kitchen 2 years ago; the cooker was not on an external wall due to a new conservatory & although the installation was not subject to BC, I went to the trouble of installing a large extract duct under the floorboards to an external wall. This was coupled to a cooker hood with the largest extract rate I could find (2x the normal offering). Although all of the fancy ones you see in those nice kitchen displays meet the minimum requirements, they are basically sold to look good & will prove to be woefully inadequate if you do any serious cooking; as for a recirculation charcoal filter unit, you may as well forget it!

thanks to all that have replied,I will go ahead with the external fan

Noseal it had nothing to do with the cooking cababilites but all about being told what was required by yet again another council SS type,
:evil:

Don't moan, they're doing you a favour in the long run.

you need extract to fresh air , the recycling hoods are long gone as suitable

Either an extract fan operating at 60 litres / sec

or a cooker hood extracting at 30 litres / sec will satisfy the nice helpfull man

what makes you think that an electric cooker gives off less steam than a gas one.

Just so an amateur can "put one over" on an expert, the combustion of gas produces steam as one of the products, so a gas cooker will always produce more steam than an electric one.

Not enough to make any difference, I don't suppose, but.................

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back