Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Old cooker hood was connected to a FCU (2 core cable). Recently we bought a new hood and it has twin core and earth cable. Can it be connected to the old wiring which comes out of the wall at the rear of the hood or not?

any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the cooker hood has a earth cable in the flex, it must be earthed..period.

Unless it double insulated, but they don't normally put a earth in the flex.

i thought that, so what is the earth to be wired to if there is no earth on the existing twin core?

You need to run a new supply.

Have you cut the cable back a bit to see if there's a earth that's been cut off.

It would have to be 60's lighting cable to have no earth.[/list]

Sponsored Links
cheers mate. ive not cut it back no but think thats a good idea. the cable was only put in 4 yrs ago. thanks very much.

just checked. it does appear the wiring from the fcu is only 2 core. im guessing this can be removed and swapped for 3 core??

i guess it will be an hours work for an electrician?

cheers

The earth will need to be checked at the FCU I.e there's one there.

How long and how much depends on the cable route.

Are you getting mixed up about what is two core and what is three core.

For two core do you mean that the old flex cable contains two conductors red/black (brown/blue) and this went from the old hood to the fcu?

When you say three core do you actually mean that the flex cable has line, neutral and earth?

When you looked inside the fcu what was the supply side cable made up of - red/black/earth or brown/blue/earth - or just red/black or brown/blue?

If there is already a line, neutral and earth from the supply side at the fcu then it should take no more than 10 minutes to connect it up and test.

where the cable comes out of the wall near to the old hood it has live and neutral cores. i have not looked at the cable where it enters the fcu though. the cable connected to the new hood has 3 cores incl earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back