Cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new cooker hood as a straightforward replacement for an old one.

The hood is supplied via a fused spur which also feeds the spark for the gas hob. The feed to the old hood is twin and earth; however, the new hood cable only has live and neutral.

Its a Hotpoint hood so presumably this is correct and I simply have to blank off the earth feed...but just thought I'd check?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
the new hood will be double insulated and so does not require an earth connection. Just connect the wiring as you would have done, but dont worry about the earth.Leave the earth connected inside the FCU on the supply side, but obviously just leave the load side without a cable in it, and connect the live and neutral.

Make the earth conductor safe inside the hood in a piece of choc-block - don't cut it back in case it's needed in the future.

You don't say where you are making the connection, whether it's at the fused spur switch, inside the cooker hood, at a flex outlet, or at a junction box. Either way, the connection needs to be within some form of enclosure like those listed above, and not just a connector block in the open.

Usually cooker hoods have a flex already fitted.

If the connection will be at a flex outlet, junction box or fused spur switch, there should be an earth terminal provided.

Otherwise, as mentioned, put the earth wire in a separate connector block

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, for those clarifications.

I'm making the connection inside the hood, so I'll make the earth safe inside a piece of choc block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back