cooker mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I need to move my electric cooker/oven about 4 feet.
what kind of junction box would i need to extend the 10mm cable, bearing in mind that i would want to bury it in the wall to hide it from view.
any advice please
moggy4

Sponsored Links
hello mate, just done what you want to do. I used a 45amp junction box. is it a free standing cooker?

I understand the method of burying junction boxes is frowned upon by most sparks as if you (or the next owner of the proeprty) end up with a fault later on then it might be difficult to find or somoene might not even know it's there. They must be accessible!

If burying cables in walls then crimping is the preferred method (short of using one entire length of cable in the first place).

Is there no way to surface mount the junction box but keep it out of view?

no its a slot in oven and a halogen hob
what exactly is crimping??
could i use one of those connector blocks and bury that ?
thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
no, you shouldn't bury a connector block.

crimping is using a special tool to form a permanent joint in cables. the tool would cost in the region of £20 (cheaper ones are available but do not make a dependable joint and most only crimp up to 6mm cable, not 10mm)
DVDHCR1516.JPG

it has a ratchet mechanism to ensure the joint is made with great force

Would you be able to leave the switch where it is, and run a new longer cable from the switch to the wall outlet plate in the new position? then you would not need a joint. Or if the cable from the cooker to the wall outlet plate is replaced with a longer cable.

Concealed cables must be run in straight lines, vertically or horizontally (never diagonally) from visible switches and accessories

Most electrical work in kitchens in notifiable under Building regulations. (look up Part P on this forum),

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back