Cooker socket

Yes, but an unfused spur to a double socket can be loaded to 26A by anyone who doesn't know this. Therefore the regulation is not very sensible allowing the possibility of socket overload so easily.
Agreed - it's not very sensible, but you seemed to be using it as a justification for allowing a cable to be protected by an OPD with an In greater than the cable's Iz.

However, we weren't discussing sockets but whether if appliance cables were larger would we need a fuse in the plug.
When you say 'larger', you presumably again mean 2.5mm². If so, then this is indeed the same as the unfused spur - again you have a length of cable protected by a device whose In is greater than the cable's Iz - as you've just said (I think!) 'not very sensible'.

Yes he and I were talking about 2.5mm² because this is allowed for a spur even directly from the MCB. I don't know why, apart from what you say above. It would surely be better and cost pennies more to insist on 4mm².
Totally agreed. The regs would be 'more sensible' if they required unfused spurs to be 4mm² and, by the same token, there would clearly be no argument (at least in terms of cable protection) in having no additional fuse in a 4mm² appliance cable (if the circuit had a 32A OPD).

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
As it's the silly season, did you realise that the regulations allow a twin socket on a 2.5mm² cable from a 32A mcb in the consumer unit?

Oh Lord.

I'm off out - can't face another round of nonsense on that subject from a resident of the Wallis and Futuna Home For The Bewildered.

As it's the silly season, did you realise that the regulations allow a twin socket on a 2.5mm² cable from a 32A mcb in the consumer unit?
Sure, we've been through that before - at length! Most of these anomolies have arisen because the regs have tried to twist themselves around to 'legitimise' ring final circuits, with results which are sometimes not logical and/or consistent and/or 'sensible'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well I am happy to say last year we replaced the oven and my dad wired it up and all is well!! Yes we do need to sort electrics in general in the house what with the shower and cooker on same trip switch but it has been like this for years and we havent had any issues (apart from they trip when used at the same time but this never happens).

We do need the electrics checked out at some point but funds are very low with having a baby and me on reduced hours so it will have to wait unfortunately. Also I am worried of getting a cowboy electrician, far too many scary stories out there!!!

Anywhere legit I can find someone legit for electrics, plumbing etc?? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back