Cooker Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refitting the kitchen and installing a ceramic hob with a maximum load of 7.1kW, a single electric oven max load 2.9kW, and a built-in combination microwave max load 2.59kW.
The present supply consists of a 6-way fused consumer unit with an additional loop of 16mm2 cable to a separate fused shower supply unit.
There is an existing 30A fused radial circuit to the old oven location and a 30A ring in 2.5mm2 supplying all kitchen and garage sockets. This ring will supply the normal kitchen appliances such as washing machine, tumble-dryer, dishwasher, kettle etc, plus, in the garage, the occasional power tool.
Whilst I understand the new oven and microwave can be connected to the ring main, I am concerned that I'm asking a lot from the circuit.
The new location for the hob/ovens is about 12m from the consumer unit.
I would prefer to uprate the cooker circuit to supply the three appliances, using 10mm2 cable from the consumer unit and either:
use a 45A DP switch for the hob and two fused connection units for the ovens, or,
fit a Wylex 3 way consumer unit near the cooker and use it as a distribution centre to the three appliances with a 40A and two 16A plug-in mcb's.
The third option is to use the cooker supply radial to supply the hob only and connect the ovens to the ring (much simpler!).
With the first option, I'm not sure if it is permissible to run two spurs from the 45A DP switch (if the cable clamps are large enough for a 10mm2 and 2 x 2.5mm2 cables). With the second, is this going over the top? Is the third option acceptable, without overloading the ring?
In respect of connecting the circuit to the supply at the consumer unit in either of the first two options, should I use the existing cooker circuit terminals and uprate the fuse to 45A (where can I get 45A fusewire?), or can I take a further loop from the shower supply unit?
I'd rather not go down the path of replacing/expanding the consumer unit if I can avoid it.
Your advice/suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back