Cooker width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this doesn't really coming under plumbing but I couldn't find a more suitable board.

I've got a space for a free standing oven (pictured)

There is a 60cm between the units either side, however the work surface overhands but 1.5cm each side meaning the opening at the top is only 57cm.

Therefore I'm a bit stuck as to what width of freestanding oven to get.

55cm would leave me with space between the cooker and units and 60cm would mean the cooker has to sit below the work surface.

Any hints?
cooker.jpg

Sponsored Links
cant see a 60cm cooker below the work surfaces working as you would,nt be able to raise the glass cover that operates the ssov. looks like you are looking at a narrow cooker,
if you google 55cm cookers you can see whats available on the price comparison sites

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't matter if you did cut it down, you still couldn't fit a 60cm gas cooker into that gap.

No it's because your supposed to have a 20mm gap either side of it.

Disagree with you there lee as you would go with manufacturers instructions and for slot in cookers most only ask for 1MM clearance at sides.

55 at a push but if you put metal edge protectors on the over hanging work top you won't have a problem.

namsag";p=" said:
Disagree with you there lee as you would go with manufacturers instructions and for slot in cookers most only ask for 1MM clearance at sides.[/quote

can't argue with that,mi's always have the last say.To be fair I'm normally the first to argue that mi's overrule anything.

Alot just refer you to the bs which has the lovely diagram of the oven with over grill.

In absence of instructions stating otherwise,most kitchen people try to leave 640mm just in case.

Can understand in a lab BS clearances are possible but in a wendy house where every mm space is to be used, fail to see how one can enforce these outdated clearances.

Just had a look at my course notes. A free standing cooker needs 75mm each side and behind the cooker with 900 space between the cooker surface and whatever hang on the wall. Can see the lady of the house blowing her gasket seeing the cooker sitting well forward and in isolation to the kitchen cabinets. By the way, space between the worktop and beasde of wall unit in my house is 450mm. This space is dictated by the ladder unit. 750mm is possible but 900mm might well be bullet in my brain (fired by OWMBO)

Another point that tickles me is the clearance between pipes and cables. I would like to meet a person who hand on heart can say each and every job that he has undertaken, these clearances have been adhered to.

Not advocating anything, just pondering the senseless redtape. Must follow the MIs

In my house I would fit the cooker hard against the worktop with hobs raised above the said surface (same as an integrated hob).

Cut the worktop, fit stability bracket, wall socket must be fitted as per MIs/ GSIU regs, hose as per the regs too. I think the cooker will be 590 or 595mm si that it can fit in 600mm space

ICGS, let us say you are called to fit a cooker in a space after the kitchen fitters have been. BS clearances are not in place as the wall cabinets ends are perpendicular with what is fitted on the floor.

Further more, you find space between worksurface and wall unit base is only 450mm so now you have to break the news to the customer that wall units will need to be removed and appropriate ones fitted that create the 150mm spacing either side of cooker. Not forgetting the hood that would have been 600mm wide now needs to be 900mm wide else it may not look 'intergrated'

You also find the cables are crossing you gas line onto which you to fit to wall socket.

Do you walk, do you do your best or do you inform the responsible person and carry out the installation.

Incidently, the info was from my course notes. I note the 2006 date on your picture. Thanks for the heads up. My notes are NTC

An honest answer to your question would be that id walk.

As a company i/we do not install to NCS,upon arriving at a job like that i would endever to do the best with the info i have,so first off the MI's if it doesnt comply with them its a non starter.If its not mentioned in great detail id try the tech help line for confirmation,If thats unavailable(say a weekend) then id go via the BS.If it doesnt comply, id regrettfully inform the customer,give them a copy of the drawing showing whats required and be on my way.

if someone else wants to fit it then so be it,as i register all work knowing that it could be visited by a GSR bod its pointless chancing it.

Yes this may seem harsh and anal,but thats how we work.Id rather keep my reg than make a quick 70 on a dodgy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back