Cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in a dedicated supply for my dual fuel range cooker. The electric power consumption at full load is 4.5kW. I am putting in a 6.0mm supply direct from the consumer unit to a cooker switch (45Amp + 13A socket). I have some questions with regards to this installation that I would really appreciate answers to.

Is there a maximum distance the cooker socket can be from the cooker as with boilers?

The cooker switch will be located above the work surface about 200mm up the tiled wall. The kitchen floor is floorboards so the supply cable will run under the floor from the consumer unit and up the wall (buried in the plaster in conduit) to the cooker switch. I then need to get from the cooker switch back down to under the work surface where I was going to place a connection unit to allow me to wire in cooker flex. Is this a good way of doing this or is there a simpler / more professional way of doing this? Can I run a cable from the cooker unit back down parallel to the supply cable? Am I in breach of any regulations by locating the connection unit vertically below the cooker switch (about 1m below)?

Sponsored Links
you say the outlet will be below the switch? i hope this does not mean that the switch will be above the cooker. you setup sounds reasonable, apart from what i already said. just remember that if you do move the outlet to the side, you need to out the cables in permitted areas or 50mm deep or in earth conduit.

also, are you aware of part P?

The cooker point will be off to the left hand side of the cooker (cooker top at work surface level with a stainless splashback above running the full width of cooker, tiles running from the left hand side above the work surface up to the splashback, the cooker point will be 300mm (unless it has to be further away) from the left hand edge of the splashback and 200mm above the work surface.

I am aware of Part P. I have checked with building control and found that as the installation was begun prior to end of 2004 it is not covered. Please correct me if I am wrong but this is what I was told.

sounds OK. as for part P, if it was started last year you are exempt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back