Electric Oven Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new standalone electric oven (gas hob), i have removed the old built in unit and noticed there is no cooker switch, the previous owners have just plugged in the old oven into the 13a socket.

My question is, do i need to run a cable from the consumer unit to my new cooker switch, if so there is no room left in the consumer unit, can i add a cable to an excisting route i.e the kitchen sockets and run this to the cooker switch, or could i tap into the kitchen sockets, put in a mini consumer unit under the cooker and from there wire it to the cooker switch?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Do you know the power rating (KW / W or A) of your new oven ?

Ed

Sorry, i don't know the rating, there is a socket where i am going to be locating the new oven, could i run a fused spur of this, then to the cooker switch?

Look for a plate on the oven that will give you the serial number & operating voltage & current rating, without that you cannot be given any advice(other than to say call in someone who knows what they are doing :) )

Sponsored Links
MDD,

Without knowing the power rating of the oven it makes it impossible to advise you, do you know the 'make and model' of the oven ?

Ed

the place that is selling the oven should know.

As a rule of thumb, a typical single electric oven, for domestic use, designed for the UK market, uses about 10 Amps and can be run off a UK socket.

Double ovens can't. Ovens with separate grill can't. Electric cookers can't.

However it is always preferable to have a dedicated circuit as (1) this gives capacity for a double oven if you want one later (2) a heavy load like an oven is better not supplied from the socket ring, as it uses a large proportion of available capacity. This is particularly relevant in kitchens which are liable to have multiple heavy loads such as tumble drier, washing machine, dishwasher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back