Cooking grease on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Redecorating my flat before new tenants move in, the previous tenants didn't seem to wipe off the fat spits off the kitchen walls. I have scrubbed and scrubbed the wall then tried painting on top but the grease comes through. Any tips on what i can do?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Clean with lots of sugar soap then try a coat of oil based underocat. Might need a sealer like Zinnser.

sugar soap and enuff elbow grease to almost take the top layer off!

tenants love grease dont they, mingers!

Sponsored Links
vinyl wallpaper

then change it next time.

Two old-fashioned remedies and in my mind, the old ones are the best! Either use warm water with bicarbonate of soda or warm water and soda crystals. They both work brilliantly for grease and you could even add a small amount of washing up liquid to the mix for good measure. Good luck :)

What you have to remember is that certain chemicals leave a residue that cant be painted over. Washing up liquid for one. Unless they can be rinsed off enough then the paint wont stay on it.

Fair point Robbie but if you're cleaning with anything soapy, you would have to rinse off in the end. In fact, even with bicarbonate of soda or soda crystals, you would have a powdery residue if you didn't rinse off. I guess I should have stated that.

The reason we use sugar soap is because it doesnt leave any residue and can be painted straight over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back