Cooking/ Heating Appliances Rethink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was reading the airfryer thread.

We have a microwave with conventional oven capabilities. It's at least 10 years ago from Tesco which has an infra red grill, conventional oven and popty ping all in one. It was a bargain at 45 squid.

Our electric eye level double oven is on its last legs. Not complaining, it was installed 5 years before we moved in and is now over 28 years old.

Funnily enough, it was an MFI special, made by Stoves but branded for them.

We have a Stoves 600G hob which is the same vintage. One ignitor has failed.

WRT the huge increase in energy costs, we are thinking of replacing the electric double oven with a gas model and replacing the gas hob with the same.

This way, we have a small electric oven if needed and the double oven which we use more would be gas, so hopefully a bit cheaper than electric.

Is this the way to go, or would you do something different?

Wood fired oven, perhaps, or is wood not much cheaper? Could also link an Aga into the CH/HW?

I'm also considering replacing the gas fire in the lounge (that we have used twice since we moved in (23 years ago!) with a log burner.

I'd love to hear your opinions on all of this.

Sponsored Links
Electric ovens cook way better than gas ovens and they are not the big consumer of electricity you may think.

replacing a gas fire with a log burner is pretty expensive. You will need your chimney lined and building control approval for the stove. Depending on the type of stove, you may also need to install a hearth, though some are certified not to transfer heat so a simple 12mm tiled area is fine. That will cost about £1k all in. Not to mention you need a source of logs as buying them is very expensive per kw.

Do you have a south or west facing roof? PV solar can be had fairly cheaply or even just install a power wall and switch to an over night tariff.

Was reading the airfryer thread.

We have a microwave with conventional oven capabilities. It's at least 10 years ago from Tesco which has an infra red grill, conventional oven and popty ping all in one. It was a bargain at 45 squid.

Our electric eye level double oven is on its last legs. Not complaining, it was installed 5 years before we moved in and is now over 28 years old.

Funnily enough, it was an MFI special, made by Stoves but branded for them.

We have a Stoves 600G hob which is the same vintage. One ignitor has failed.

WRT the huge increase in energy costs, we are thinking of replacing the electric double oven with a gas model and replacing the gas hob with the same.

This way, we have a small electric oven if needed and the double oven which we use more would be gas, so hopefully a bit cheaper than electric.

Is this the way to go, or would you do something different?

Wood fired oven, perhaps, or is wood not much cheaper? Could also link an Aga into the CH/HW?

I'm also considering replacing the gas fire in the lounge (that we have used twice since we moved in (23 years ago!) with a log burner.

I'd love to hear your opinions on all of this.
I'd strongly advise anyone against using an aga in combination with heating - when ours went we lost cooking and hot water for weeks. The trauma of that winter will long be a dark night of the soul for me.

Sponsored Links
Back