Copper bar is it from consumer unit - advice sort

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Today I had a electrian come and fit our new shower, and cable.

After he left there was a polished copper bar similiar to the top of a castle wall about 4 inches long left near the consumer unit. Looking at the consumer unit the electrian has used a different make of fuse than the consumer unit brand. He said that he didnt have the same make fuse and said that he made the one currently installed fit. He said it was fine.

My questions are is the fuse being a different brand an issue?

Is this copper metal bar from the consumer unit? and if so is it because the electrian has made the other brand fuse fit.

If so is this a problem to be concerned about

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sponsored Links
That will be a piece of copper busbar. You may as well keep it with the CU in case it is wanted on another occasion. The "teeth" fit into the connections on the circuit breakers.

Circuit breakers fit onto a standard "DIN rail" which is an industry standard size. However there can be differences in depth or height of breakers between brands which affects how the front projects through the slot in the enclosure, and sometimes the height of the busbar that they fit.

Some companies make parts with several different brand names, and occasionally the same brand will change design over the years. For example MK Sentry changed slightly and have a conversion part available to make the new breakers fit the old CU. Crabtree Starbreaker however changed so dramatically that the old and new breakers and busbars are not interchangeable.

It is always preferable to use the same brand and design, because they will have been tested together and will fit. I would hope that the electrician has used a compatible part but of course I can't see it from here. However other brands may be satisfactory if there are no gaps round them that you could poke anything into.

Tell us the brand names, and, if you can post a digital photo for more specific opinion.

Did the electrician leave an Installation Certificate with you?

Sponsored Links
If he's cut off the bus bar it's odds on the new MCB will be fed with cable.

Well here are the pictures, Please keep the advice coming

This is a picture of copper plate
IMG_0122.jpg

This is the unit
IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

154 Shows the replacement of the copper bar.

Any thoughts / advice

Coops

IMG_0135.jpg

They don't look compatable to me too, especially when MEM MCBs are still available.

Have you still got the black plastic busbar shield?

If you aren't confident to change it yourself, leave it until next time you have an electrician in.

I can probably find you a used MEM B40 for a few pounds if you want one.

How could I put the correct copper plate back would I have to use the following circled platic grip and place back where the arrow is shown?

Is that all that hold the copper bar in place / connecting to the other copper bar?

IMG_0131a.jpg

Cheers for advice

1. It does NOT connect to the other Busbar :!: This is very important

2. Yes, it clips into the retainer on the LHS. But mostly it is held steady by being gripped into the terminals of the MCBs and the RCD. Indeed, the later model of Memera Consumer Unit has a "Floating" busbar that is not held by any plastic retainers, just by the terminals. This is OK. You loosen them all off fully (so that the busbar teeth do not slip behind any of the grippers) then hold it firmly upwards while you tighten the two end terminals. then tighten the rest.

There ought to be a little plastic thing clipped on that spare busbar end. It will work Ok without it but keep your fingers clear :)

cheers for advice and help all please keep it coming

John, Yes I still have the black thin plastic cover that shields the bottom half of the fuses (where the copper plates goes)

I may come back to you about the replacement fuse.

As i see it as long as the power is off it is just a matter of swapping the fuse over with the MEM B40 and placing the wires in the same place as current fuse.

If I move the plastic grip as circled and moved where the arrow points to is that all that hold the busbar in place? I feel confident about changing the fuse. The copper busbar I would want to make sure that the only thing connecting the busbar to the current busbar fitted at the bottom right would be the plastic grip. Also which orientation should the bus bar be, holes on the left or right?

Coops

Don't move the plastic grip. It is supposed to be on the LHS. Once the busbar is held by the plastic gripper at one side, and the lower, red terminal of the RCD at the other, it can't go anywhere.

I don't think the holes have any purpose in that model, I'll have a look at one to make sure.

BTW it is not a "fuse" it is an "MCB"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back