copper or plastic

There mile's of copper in the U'K buried in screed's , think you can get 50 metre coil's of copper if you want it , think there is one under floor system that use's plastic coated ally pipe Robbin's I think ???

I doubt that the O.P get's involved in under floor much ??? & if he did in a screed he would use plastic ??? certain oil fired boiler manu's would not allow copper to be installed on there boiler's was in the M.I's , certainly up untill recently , except in under floor application's , as it is under the control of a thermo mixing valve !!

Incidentally I assume you have not used plastic in your solid fuel install :)

Sponsored Links
Incidentally I assume you have not used plastic in your solid fuel install

All copper and I'm quite a dab hand with the stuff. But I also recognise the benefits of plastic.
Didn't you see my valve station?

There mile's of copper in the U'K buried in screed's , think you can get 50 metre coil's of copper if you want it , think there is one under floor system that use's plastic coated ally pipe Robbin's I think ??? I doubt that the O.P get's involved in under floor much ??? & if he did in a screed he would use plastic

In the case of UFH, the underfloor bit is not distribution pipework, but a heat emitter. The customer chooses this system and shouldn't feel short changed that it's usually plastic.

Didn't you see my valve station?

I did see your valve station , I was being sarcastic :D there you go than Nordio see a job in copper that required skill done by your good self , just imagine the reaction if it had been done in plastic (leaving aside the fuel issue's ) .

There is nothing better than to see a well done piece of copper work , it is I would suggest an advert for those who have done it !!! that will stand the test of time !! Recently went to a job (big house) were threaded copper had been used through out 1950's , we ripped load's of it out as good as the day it was put in ,heard of it never come across it before
the scrap value well it will be a nice earner :) hope your project is going o.k , just remember 1 litre of water can create 1600 litre's of steam :)

Sponsored Links
Just curious but where would you find 100m rolls of soft copper?

Why would you need to?

Or would you use 25m rolls and add joints?
Soldered; why not, it’s been done since the stuff was invented; do you not know how to use solder?

And then the screed issue. If a customer was laying a corrosive sand/cement screed what would you propose?
Oh come on, you can’t be serious; I’m not even going to answer that one; go away & read some books! :LOL:

hope your project is going o.k

Yes its going fine. Just waiting on the heat exchanger.
Onetap thinks it will all end in tears. But I will be paying heed to his advice and what others and your good self said.
It's not good to defer from convention but in my case I have to learn what convention is to a certain extent but I'll get there.
Don't wanna hijack this thread so I'm outta here.

:D Deep breath's Richard C , stick with your all copper install's , glad to see there are some who still adhere to this practice , alot of the skill ishas been taken out of the construction industry that is probably the trouble with it today any one has a go , some of the install's I have seen that are all plastic are a disgrace & who ever done it should have there watsit's stamped on , on a different note alot of installer's including the gas board are moving over to Spirovent's all brass , & dumping those tacky plastic Adey rubbish filter's , back to basic's perhap's .

Mind you thank F for plstic soil pipe's I say :D

Plastic Gas mains, Plastic Water mains, Plastic on electric cables, plastic drainage...........should I go on, and it all works and lasts fine.

Plastic Gas mains, Plastic Water mains, Plastic on electric cables, plastic drainage...........should I go on, and it all works and lasts fine.

There's no doubt plastic pipe for CH/HW application has many qualities.

Unfortunately enabling you to demonstrate craftsmanship in front of customers isn't one of them.

Unfortunately enabling you to demonstrate craftsmanship in front of customers isn't one of them.

I think they are allready impressed by the fact I turn up on time to quote, turn up on time to do the job, the gas pipe is in copper, the exposed heating pipes are in copper and in neat trunking on vertical drops.

Also the boiler has 5 year warranty and the Benchmark is "fully" filled in, I have certificates comeing out my arse, I lift the old and new boilers on and off the wall myself,

I clean up properly after with my hoover, properly explain the new controls ecrt ect ect, they aint gonna be any more impressed with pipes in the loft and hidden under floors that they cant see, how much more fekkin impressing do I need to do.

I didn't say anything about impressing the customer, I wrote 'demonstrating craftsmanship'. They don't have to be impressed with it.

What you say you do is to be admired but doesn't detract that the bits hidden in the loft and under floors could have been laid by a DIYer with limited skills. If you manage the full rate for this then congratulations.

Unfortunately enabling you to demonstrate craftsmanship in front of customers isn't one of them

I used this recently in front of a customer....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1fNhpo8QA

He was adamant that no joints would be under his floor and when I produced this he was most impressed.
I think its the only jointing system that UHMA deem acceptable for underfloor buried joints.

Very good. However how are you meant to **** about with that tool, in situ when fitting multiple F/R H/C pipes with various branch offs, in a confined space, clip distance apart, to be concealed in notch or panel behind a unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back