copper pipe earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to the forum,but it looks very help full,

I need to earth some 15mm copper pipes in a down stairs bathroom which are fed from copper to plastic to copper,(if that makes sense)i have read to do it in 4mm earth cable but i do not have any :rolleyes:

I do have plenty of 6 & 10mm is there a reason the 6mm cannot be used :?:

Any help would be good

Cheers ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
You can use 6mm. Its overkill but wont hurt.

By the way, supplementary bonding is only required in rooms with a shower or bath. Though I appreciate a "downstairs bathroom" may indeed have both, for most its just a bog and a basin. Supp bonds are applied to all incoming metal pipes and electrical circuit protective conductors.

Thanks for your help ;)

The down stairs bathroom will only contain a sink and bog and washing machine and tumble drier.

The room is fed by copper in the ceiling then it ends and plastic takes over through all the timber frame work then as the pipe work comes out the wall to feed which ever bog,sink etc i have joined it back to copper to come out through the wall to make it more rigid.

I thought you had to join the copper in the ceiling to the copper coming out the walls because the plastic breaks the earth :?: :?:

Yes or no :?: :?:

You dont need to bond anything. There wont be any naked wet bodies in there (normally), since there is no bath or shower.

The only bond you might have is main equipotential bonds, which are applied to incoming metallic services only where they enter the house - so water, gas, oil - and joins them to the main earth terminal near the electric meter and fuse box.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back