Copper pipe finishing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished cleaning all the ridiculously thick coats of paint with runs every couple of inches off of our exposed copper heating pipes.
(Next job is to do the same with the skiting boards and architraves).

If possible we would like to leave the pipes unpainted. As bare copper tends to discolour can anyone suggest what coating/treatment could be used that will retail the copper shine without being affected by the heat when the heating is on?

Sponsored Links
Brasso is just a mild abrasive for getting the shine but won't preseve it. Personally I'd try to get the copper uniformly clean and shiny, then simply leave it to oxidise naturally to a dull brown. I'd find permanently-shiny copper rather obtrusive.

Repaint with zinsser primer and screwfix water gloss. Worked for me on pipes coming out of the gas boiler. No discolouration and no maintenance.

Sponsored Links
Repaint with zinsser primer and screwfix water gloss. Worked for me on pipes coming out of the gas boiler. No discolouration and no maintenance.

Zinsser Primer is white - my question was about sealing the bare copper to stop oxidisation and discolouration and retaining its brightness - such as, for example, seen on the equipment on ships.

Yes, I understand your question. I was suggesting an alternative that is easy to attain and stays fresh. For the authentic copper pipe look, I suppose you could use clear primer, and clear paint. I never attempted that myself and can't suggest a product.

I've left my radiator pipework as bare copper.
I had originally intended to lacquer it to maintain the brightness, but to be honest, I've been happy with the way it has dulled down - after three years, it is still relatively shiny, just not overly so.
If I feel it has tarnished too much, I will polish it up again.

If you really want the bright polished finish, there are plenty of (high temperature) lacquers about, intended for radiators, as above though, I'm afraid can't recommend one, as I didn't go down that route! :)

Yes, I understand your question. I was suggesting an alternative that is easy to attain and stays fresh. For the authentic copper pipe look, I suppose you could use clear primer, and clear paint. I never attempted that myself and can't suggest a product.
I thank you for the suggestion - painting them is such a faff, and it seems that the previous occupants experienced the continual discolouration and just regularly overcoated (not very well) to overcome it. I figure if I could stop the oxidisation they would look better - now that I've stripped the paint.

I've left my radiator pipework as bare copper.
I had originally intended to lacquer it to maintain the brightness, but to be honest, I've been happy with the way it has dulled down - after three years, it is still relatively shiny, just not overly so.
If I feel it has tarnished too much, I will polish it up again.

If you really want the bright polished finish, there are plenty of (high temperature) lacquers about, intended for radiators, as above though, I'm afraid can't recommend one, as I didn't go down that route! :)

I suppose I could just leave the pipes in their natural state and see how long it takes for them to dull, and periodically go over them with fine wire wool if they dull - and in the meantime look for a suitable finishing product.

Thanks for your input guys.

Or paint them with metallic copper paint.

Zinsser do a clear primer.

The Zinsser clear primer is an interesting option - I have used their products to paint UPVC windows with great results - so thanks for the heads up.

Their tech spec does not mention if it is suitable on continuously 'hot' surfaces - such as heating pipes - so I will need to check with them.

I like shiny copper too! I just install, leave shiny and if necessary clean up with fine wire wool when it dulls. Let us know if you find a suitable lacquer/varnish.

……… and retaining its brightness - such as, for example, seen on the equipment on ships.
Brasso every day during the forenoon watch 8 till 12 for you land lubbers.

You could polish and then spray with clear lacquer as used on car paints. As far as I am aware nothing else will do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back