Copper pipe in swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently went to a property where we would be required to run a supply of off an existing gas supply that is in an indoor swimming pool boiler 'house'. The boiler house was adjacent to the pool, and the atmosphere was very warm and highly chlorinated. I was surprised to see the extent of the oxidization on the pipe work, especially around the sweated joints where presumably the flux had been wiped off, as the installation was only about 12 months old. Is it usual, and more to the point, safe to install bare copper piping under such conditions?
Andy

Sponsored Links
I used to go to many pools, mostly outdoors.

It was odd that some with the chems stored within 1 m of the boiler there was no corrosion and on others masses.

All I can say is that if existing pipes are corroded its best to use some kind of protection. Possibly it only needs some paint!

Tony

But you have to be gas safe to apply it - never mind the chlorine gas that might be floating about :mad:

Sponsored Links
came accross similar situation, and was very surprised how quickly the copper pipe and brass zone valves in the pool boiler room tarnished, I have serviced the boiler every year for 15 years and although the tarnashing looks crap it hasnt had any other effect on any of the pipe or components

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back