Cordless multi-tool (Bosch PMf 180 equivalent) £40 @ Aldi

thats exactly what we have been using it for,also straight acroos joists to remove floorboards,not many days where it stays in the box
bought my own at homebase minworth.noticed in store bosch blades carbide tipped £23, which my pal thought were £27 but he does love selco

Sponsored Links
really?? I must have a knacked/pants blade then, I tryed cutting a floor board and it made a bit of an etch in it after 5 min of deafining+vibrating before running out of battery lol,

Will neet to get something sharper :)

Cutting a pipe flush with the wall was actually one of the main reasons I got it, also thought I could cut metal flues quicker/cleaner but wont have that either.
Also need to try changing the angle of it then.

I bought one of the Aldi multitools and when I tightened the blade onto it the shaft just rotated so I took it back for a refund. I noticed from the paperwork with it that it's made in Holland by Ferm.

I decided to get a Bosch GOP 10.8v lithium one to go with some Bosch batteries I already have and managed to find a naked one(!) on Ebay for £67. It's great but the battery doesn't last very long. This is not a problem with the Bosch as you can recharge in half an hour and you can have more than one battery but with the Aldi one you can't seem to get a spare battery - I looked on the website mentioned in the paperwork.

I find it a very useful tool for certain jobs and I've noticed when cutting into wood it actually cuts much better if you don't press too hard - and the battery will last longer too.

I accidentally kept one of the blades from the Aldi one I took back and discovered it WON'T fit my Bosch so beware.

All in all I'd say avoid the Aldi one and go for a mains powered Bosch one at about £60. The battery Bosch one is much more of an investment if you are not sure you'll use it much.

I've found Saxton Blades on Ebay a good source of the blades at a good price.

They will cut floor boards with the right blade but there are better tools for that, if the stuff you are trying to cut is flimsy then it will osilate at the same speed as the blade and very little will happen.

Sponsored Links
They work on the same principle as the tools they've used for years in hospitals to cut plaster casts off. If you get the thing against your skin nothing much happens as it just makes your flesh vibrate!

Don't try this at home and definitely don't try it on a boney bit as I suspect that might not be so safe!

really?? I must have a knacked/pants blade then, I tryed cutting a floor board and it made a bit of an etch in it after 5 min of deafining+vibrating before running out of battery lol,

Will neet to get something sharper :)

Cutting a pipe flush with the wall was actually one of the main reasons I got it, also thought I could cut metal flues quicker/cleaner but wont have that either.
Also need to try changing the angle of it then.

alter the angle off attack often in an arc for best results

I have the Bosch 180 corded, had it about 3 years now, great piece of kit, but very noisy.
Blades are also too expensive considering they don't last too long if you cut into something like a laminate floor board.
Still, good tool though.

I looked on ebay for spare attachments etc.

The life of the blades depend on the material being cut, and how the tool is used

Composite/man-made boards take their toll on the blades - even the bi-metal blades

It's best not to really dig the blade in too hard. Use light pressure same as angle grinder cutting, and let the blade do the work - and move it back and forth to keep the blade cool

Pick the right blade, make sure the material is held fast, use light pressure and the blades and battery will last a much longer time

another top tip
if you are say cutting through skirting or any material tight to a wall or with nails in use the new blade stopping a few mm short and finish with an old blade :cool:

I've used mine for cutting skirting boards, architraves when laying laminate flooring, some redundant pipes that were proud of the wall, sanding, etc. The last job was cutting through the surface of a stone slab before I broke it to size (my OH insisted that it might be too dangerous if I use our big angle grinder while working on my own, so I just use whatever tools I had with me instead of waiting for him)

PS - Sometimes when cutting timber it starts churning, especially if there are timber shavings or other combustible small particles around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back