Corgi / Gas safe FAQ

• Thread starter moviemakernow
  • Start date
M

moviemakernow

2) CAN I GET A CORGI ENGINEER TO "SIGN OFF" AN INSTALLATION?

First - CORGI is no longer relevant. You need a Gas Safe Register registered engineer! There's progress for you. :rolleyes:

If by that you mean can he sign everything as though he'd installed it, no, it would be illegal, because he didn't.

If you HAVE the situation of a boiler you need to be made "legitimate" then a Corgi engineer technically would have to remove and reinstall it, and flush clean and refill the system with inhibitor. Then he could say he'd installed it, notify it to Corgi and Building Control, and fill out the Guarantee forms.

Also be aware that if you don't have all the paperwork in place, you can expect to find that manufacturers' warranties, and service contracts such as British Gas 3 Star, are void.

There is more here , issued by Corgi to registered engineers.

Well that's simply not true!

You will find most Gas safe registered individuals ( I use the term Individuals and not engineers as until Corgi or now gas safe start issuing University degrees to you all then that's what you are!) carry out sign off's all the time.

You will find builders installing CH systems and Gas pipes in both new and old homes who simply get a registered person to do the paper work. Not only that but it is common practice for Gas Safe registered individuals to use or contract none registered workers to do actual installations and simply go round and check and sign off the work.
This is common practice within the industry. Corgi and Gas Safe have very little to do with safety its all about money! Over charging the public for what should be a simple job.

I was quoted from £600 to £1600 for power flushing!! From £1300 to £3600 for a simple boiler change all from Gas Safe registered individuals. I eventually got my work carried out by one of the Gas Safe registered gas fitters who made a complete mess of the controls and had to be asked to leave after 4 failed attempts to get the system working.

Corgi lost its contract because the consumer simply did not trust them any more! Every man and his dog was Corgi registered and many were incompetent and some illegal.

The Government only option was to change the name and hope the public would get back some confidence in the new set-up.

Sorry for the rant but I'm a Chartered Engineer with over 20 years engineering experience including gas equipment design. I'm sick and tired of the way the old Corgi and now Gas safe system has been used as an excuses to provide an over priced and poor quality service to the consumer by a small cartel of individuals.

Sponsored Links
Corgi lost their contract that came up for renewal and Gas safe took over.
As for signing off other's work yes it go's on all the time however gas Safe will hold the person who sign's off the work responsible for the whole installation irrespsctive whether they did it or not !!! there are good & bad in any profession , even dare I say it Chartered Engineer's !!!!

As for the name change it has caused alot of confusion as Corgi name brand was well known as I understand it the name Gas Safe will not change even if the present company lose there contract in year's to come !!!

You will find most Gas safe registered individuals ( I use the term Individuals and not engineers as until Corgi or now gas safe start issuing University degrees to you all then that's what you are!) carry out sign off's all the time.

i think you should show some professional respect i demand that you call me a plumber who is gas qualified as that is what i am, i couldnt give a toss about university qualifications (most people i have met who have them only ever ask if i want to go large for £0.50 extra) what is your background/qualification? yes there are people in the trade who sign off jobs, do you think every car that is fixed in agarage is done by the technician or mechanic who signed it off, or some semi-skilled guy or apprentice there are probably thousands of instances just the same, unless you post who/what you are and tell us it doesnt happen in your area of expertise

Sponsored Links
Incidentally what gas equipment have you designed , not boiler's by any chance is it ???

Whats the point of this post? To tell us that your smart and gas "individuals" are not? Get a life.

edit: just saw your other post. All makes sense now. Your one of those who thinks someone is an idiot when they don't agree with you or say what you want them too. The reason why you always encounter idiots is because the smart people learn to avoid you like the plague.

have you been to hospital about those large chips on your shoulder? what a g i t

i think you should show some professional respect i demand that you call me a plumber who is gas qualified as that is what i am, i couldnt give a toss about university qualifications (most people i have met who have them only ever ask if i want to go large for £0.50 extra) what is your background/qualification? yes there are people in the trade who sign off jobs, do you think every car that is fixed in agarage is done by the technician or mechanic who signed it off, or some semi-skilled guy or apprentice there are probably thousands of instances just the same, unless you post who/what you are and tell us it doesnt happen in your area of expertise

Hoooo whoooo, big vic and bob handbags, oh dear, little green eyed monster comeing out :LOL:

The fact that your not prepared to treat Engineers with respect is probably why you can't get anyone to look at the problem with your heating system (previous post) - w*****r

Well that's simply not true!
yes it is.
Just because some people do do it, it doesn't make it legitimate. :rolleyes:
You can't spell simple words, can't be bothered to use the spell checker.
Then you decide to disrespect an industry you plainly can't understand, and the people you're asking for help.

Your plumbing problem isn't very complicated, and now you'll have to work it out for yourself.
You don't seem to be very bright, but you might get there eventually.

This particular plumber, chartered engineer and multiple graduate thinks you're a bit of a jerk, and gives you that qualified opinion without charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back