CORGI reg'd fitters

I wish people would not say the cheaper boilers will not give good service. Properly installed they will give a similar life to the more expensive makes.

The problem arises because the cowboys fit the cheap boilers badly. Thats not the boilers fault!

Viessmann only get fitted by careful CORGI engineers. Ravenheat get fitted by the unregistered. The sooner they stop giving warranty support to the cowboys the better!

I asked a Merchant yesterday if they still sold many non condensing boilers, the answer was only a few to the Polish who are still fitting them!

Tony

Sponsored Links
totally agree tony

at the end of the day what does they end user want? heat and hot water, this can be provided just as well from a cheap or expensive boiler.

Cheap boilers only get on my tits cos getting the parts for them can be a git

The cold main should always feed straight to the boiler. Don't forget that all hot water and cold draw offs ultimately come off the main. work it out. Basic plumbing ;;; pressure and flow. It's not just about joining pipes. Call a professional.

corgi del said:
Call a professional.
Hm. Is that what you call yourself, corgi del?

If so, why not provide a helpful answer on one of the unanswered questions, rather than just have a dig on the stale topics?

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Viessmann only get fitted by careful CORGI engineers.
Well, a friend of mine is currently having one installed by unregistered installers (contrary to my advice of course), due to be "signed-of" by a corgi (not me) and to be checked by Viessmann themselves!

corgi del said:
The cold main should always feed straight to the boiler. Don't forget that all hot water and cold draw offs ultimately come off the main. work it out. Basic plumbing ;;; pressure and flow. It's not just about joining pipes. Call a professional.

Corgi dels comments are relevant to this job, seeing as my bloke has taken the cold feed from up in the loft, using a redundant piece of 15mm which happens to run down from the loft to where the boiler lives. I did raise this with him and he reckoned it wouldn't affect the flow - Hmm OK I'm not a plumber but I do understand basic school physics!

Measured the flow rates, upstairs is around 6.2litres/min regardless off hot water thermostat setting, downstairs is about 7. The manual claims 9.2 l/min for a 40 degC temp rise, and 12.3 l/min for a 30 degC rise.

Cold water flow (at the bath tap) is about 16l/min. So it looks like the combination of tortuous cold water run plus 10mm hot water feed off the boiler could well be slowing the HW flow down.

As for the flue angle, the slope should be 45mm per metre, falling towards the boiler. He's done it falling AWAY by roughly that same amount! Pulled back the flue terminal rubber boot and you can see where they have had to chip away at the hole in the brickwork to get the flue to mate at all - having basically positioned the boiler too high. I bet they only noticed after connecting up all the pipes, and couldn't be arsed to rectify properly.

Rang CORGI today and they confirmed that a benchmark log book should still have been filled out - they are sending a complaint form in the post. His CORGI registration number did check out though.

now that you are a bit better informed maybe it would work out better for all if you contacted him and asked him to remedy the faults before you complain to corgi, don't be afraid to assert your position. You may not feel comfortable having him around doing the remedial works, but how much worse it will be (for both) if you "force" him to return after you have complained about his work without having given him an opportunity to remedy the faults. It would be unusual for him to choose to be "forced" to return by corgi

asc said:
now that you are a bit better informed maybe it would work out better for all if you contacted him and asked him to remedy the faults before you complain to corgi, don't be afraid to assert your position. You may not feel comfortable having him around doing the remedial works, but how much worse it will be (for both) if you "force" him to return after you have complained about his work without having given him an opportunity to remedy the faults. It would be unusual for him to choose to be "forced" to return by corgi

I'm not sure whats the best really. Judging his response when I first mentioned all of this lot, (yes I have mentioned it all!) I think he'll feel like his arms being twisted anyway. My main concern is any paperwork which may affect the manufacturers warranty.

As for the remedial work - well I'm quite capable of knocking out a bit more brickwork to allow the correct flue angle, and the cold and hot water are easy to re-route too. I don't really want a half arsed workman back in the house, and even less so if he's being pushed in any way. So if the only solution is for him to come back and sort it, I daresay I'll say bugger the guarantee, and sort out the niggles myself.

I have to say, this guy did seem very knowledgable about the subject in general, and it was only when he made out the fan in this one to be fixed speed, that I began to smell a rat (by which time it was too late).

As an aside comment, it seems a very risky business, getting a tradesman in "out of the blue". There doesn't seem to be much you can do to be sure of getting someone good, its down to pot luck really. Which must be extremely annoying for all the quality, skilled people out there. Its a pity you can't have a "feedback" system for it all - like on ebay .... dreaming I know.

Regards

Rob

Rob said:
Its a pity you can't have a "feedback" system for it all - like on ebay .... dreaming I know.
Brilliant idea ..... if we were all listed on a web site customers could post positive or negative feedback for future reference.

Re this original poster!

I do have to say that I dont mind being called a "tradesman" but I certainly do NOT like to be called a "WORKMAN".

If anyone were to call me that while I was repairing their boiler I would appologise politely and leave!

I am sure that he does not call his accountant or solicitor a "workman" so why should he call a boiler engineer that?

Tony

Agile said:
If anyone were to call me that while I was repairing their boiler I would appologise politely and leave!
Well, call me a whore, but I don't care what I'm called as long it's not "creditor".

Agile said:
I am sure that he does not call his accountant or solicitor a "workman" so why should he call a boiler engineer that?
I don't think "workman" is that unreasonable - it's a colloquial name for "bloke who does some work", and could describe anything from chippie to navvy.

Agile said:
Re this original poster!

I do have to say that I dont mind being called a "tradesman" but I certainly do NOT like to be called a "WORKMAN".

Tony

Ah now here we come to the great british misuse of the word engineer. This time you are confusing the term with gas fitter or plumber. Sorry, but I happen to be a electronics design engineer and as such am continually irked by seeing people in little white vans with "engineer" painted on the side.

robgee1964 said:
Agile said:
Re this original poster!

Tony

Ah now here we come to the great british misuse of the word engineer. This time you are confusing the term with gas fitter or plumber. Sorry, but I happen to be a electronics design engineer and as such am continually irked by seeing people in little white vans with "engineer" painted on the side.

Why are you irked?, a heating engineer is someone who applies mathematics and scientific principles (heat transfer, hydrodynamics, pressure loss etc) to design a solution (heating system) to solve a problem (keeping your tootsies warm)...that is the definition of the word engineer. What irks me is people who get concerned that others sound almost as important as them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back