corner cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have recently bought a flat and would like to do as much work to it myself. I am new to carpentry and have previously only made a radiator guard (which is basically a box). I am now looking at making a corner cabinet for the hallway to hide the fuse box and for added storage. This corner cabinet is going to be a lot harder to make than the radiator guard so I would like to do as much research as possible before I begin. So can anyone suggest a good book/resource I can use which will explain the best way to build this corner cupboard for a beginner such as myself?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
make it from corugated cardboard.

i am being serious.

use the cardboard as the wall may not be 90 degrees at top and bottom

when you have made the cardboard one right, you can take it apart and use it as templates

Thanks for your help

However, I have never built somthing like this before so I have no idea how to build the cupboard in the first place. Any suggestions where I can get any good references/guides to get me started? To give me an idea how to put it together etc.

i would start with a normal rectangle cupboard as your first project then transfer the the skills

you either need a table saw that can "tip" or a good eye steady hand a saw and or a plane

you need to plan a square and rather than cut through the corners to give you a triangle you either move the front forward so you have a minimun 2" in front so you will have the equivilent of a box with a corner cut off back to 2" in front of the centre with the complicated angles where the face[front] meets the edges

or you can cut it accross the corners so it looks like a triangle with a oblong plonked on front moving the complexed angles to the sides

Sponsored Links
Cool thanks for the tips

I will be making it like you suggested by moving the cut forward as aposed to cutting from corner to corner so that it looks like the corners have been cut off.

Im not sure if this is going to make sense but I have a further question. I will attach uprights to either side on the flat corners and then place the frame on the front for the doors etc. Because the corners will not be 90 degree angles how would I make them join seamlessly without the inevitable gap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back