Correct cable?

The BS rating for a socket (twin, single or whatever) is 13A, the type test for a twin is 14A + 6A, if a manufacturer decides to design and test a twin socket that they additionally test to draw 45.951749 amps for 10 years with no apparent damage well all well and good if they want to do that.

If you run an unfused spur from a ring or radial circuit then that spur should pass the current safely, if less than 2.5 csa then it must be "fused down" or some other effective means of limiting current for A/ Overload, B/ Short Circuit, C/ Earth Fault.

A/ Overload is achievable by just having one single socket if that is the way you choose to satisfy that particular requirement.
B/ Short Circuit - We could conspire to put a big resistance (Impedance) in circuit to satisfy the removal of this risk if we wish too. It would be a barmy way to approach the problem though in my humble opinion.
C/ Earth fault - well on a TT system we might have no choice than needing to rely on RCDs but with earthy supplies such as TNS or TNC-S we usually consider the RCD as a secondary or back up protection to good earthing principles anyway.

Actually ref putting a "big resistance" in series to remove a problem I did once, years ago, use that on a Burglar Alarm System - The control panel needed changing and there was a 12v Carters Minimite as the internal sounder, the new control panel was an a & G BS80/2 (anybody remember them?) and the F1A kept blowing as soon as it tried to sound because the sounder was basically motor driven and the initial surge took the fuse out.
A 15ohm resistor (Around 20W rating if I remember correctly) solved the problem because it limited the current to about 1A at surge and made very little discernible difference to the sounder effect after a very few seconds for the motor to reach speed.

Sponsored Links
Pete -

No.

Appendix 15 is 'informative' and not exhaustive. You are allowed to work out and design things for yourself.

See 433 for positioning of protective devices.

Pete -

No.

Appendix 15 is 'informative' and not exhaustive. You are allowed to work out and design things for yourself.

See 433 for positioning of protective devices.
I realise that, so in your view you cant use 1.5mm?

Sponsored Links
Oh I beg your pardon. I misread and thought you said CAN use 1.5.

But then why did you say CANT [sic] after what I wrote?

Indeed - and so (with very few exceptions) is it fine to for 1.5mm cable to go from a ring final (as a spur) to an FCU or a single socket - even though Appendix 15 of the regs doesn't seem to have thought that one through.

Kind Regards, John
It might be the intention of (Informative) Appendix 15 to not mention using less than 2.5 even on a single socket because of the likelihood of change to a twin perhaps? Probably a bit of K I S S going on I suppose.

I have noticed, what I presume to be, keeping things simpler avoids some wrong thoughts by some people. Just look at some conspiracy theorists who completely misunderstand some statistics in some situations.
That does not imply that I think all theorists are wrong all of the time but I have noticed a lot that are and there is a tendency to ignore everything they say. Which is a pity because one day they might actually call out something but get ignored in a "cry wolf" situation.

Anyone want to discuss using 1.5 T & E as a circuit for a bog standard immersion heater whereas 2.5 is the norm but the last bit in 1.5 HR flex?

Anyone want to discuss using 1.5 T & E as a circuit for a bog standard immersion heater whereas 2.5 is the norm but the last bit in 1.5 HR flex?
2.5mm² is a remnant of the derating for 30A BS3036 fuses; like 6mm² for 32A cooker circuit.

But you said:

But then you added:

So, who knows what you meant.
I know what I meant, 2.5mm from ring to FCU then 1.5 from there, or does appendix 15 say 1.5 is ok from ring to FCU? Didnt think so but not 100%.

Will to live found, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back