Correct height for bathroom sink ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom sink is definitely too low for me and I want to move it up ... but I'm really not sure what the right height should be.

I'm tall ... 6'2" and I'm the only one living here so I can make it completely suit myself.

The lip of the sink is about 31" off the floor, and the plughole is 5" below that. I'm thinking of raising it 3 inches or more probably.

Any advice, anyone ?

Sponsored Links
Go insane & raise it 4 inches!....Don`t forget the pipework though..Knock yourself out Tiger......

If you can pea in it while standing on tiptoes it's the right hight. Does depend how tall you are, the guy who rained me could pea in wone without standing on tiptoes.

Paul Barker said:
If you can pea in it while standing on tiptoes it's the right hight. Does depend how tall you are, the guy who rained me could pea in wone without standing on tiptoes.
Did he rain you with pee? :eek:

Sponsored Links
There is a view that if the worktops should be a height you can comfortably work at, without stooping, then the sink should be 8" higher, because when you are (e.g.) washing up or peeling potatoes, the things are not floating on top of the water, but lying at the bottom of the sink.

Please may I have a large portion of what you are smoking... :D

John D, interesting perspective.

I was owrking on a site today where the sparks and the generall builder were sharing some green, I'm one of those few people it doesn't suit, but the secondary smoking effects did help my toothache.

Can't afford a dentist on plumbers wages. When I was a nurse I was able to afford to go to the dentist, but would have got into a lot of trouble peeing in the sinks if they'd caught me.

We did use to help ourselvs to paracetamol off the trolly though when we had tooth ache, a sackable offense, so only now can I talk about it, but trust me all nurses do that, and give them to visitors.......

There were always two nurses to give out controlled drugs like morphine of course, but we had one in our hospital that somehow evaded the safety controls. Many people came out of theatre in extreme pain because she had signed for opiates having been given and consumed it herself instead. Police caught her with illicit filming.

I saved a few patiens from deadly overdoses prescribed by new Doctors. If one of these cases gets past the nurse the Doctor usually gets a telling off and the nurse gets struck off.

When I was younger I stayed with a girl in a static caravan, she used to pea in the sink instead of going outside at night, so it's not just plumbers. Of course header tanks ae much nicer, but a sink will do if you can't make it to the header tank.

Paul Barker said:
a sink will do if you can't make it to the header tank.
Invariably I find a handy container, e.g. milk jug, so that I can relieve myself without using the sink and then empty the jug into the header tank later.

I think Paul Barker is really............ELVIS.......he would seem to have an unhealthy interest in prescription medication...

Well you know all that boring stuff about position of flues and stuff, I have a head full of that and a head full of the bnf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back