correct size expansion vessel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

im lookin at updating a system, the plan is to remove old boiler and cylinder out of loft, then install worcs 24 ri (conventional) and high recovery cylinder and pressurising the system.

Its a bungalow with 18 rads :eek: yes 18 rads!!! i have used an on line calculator to find what size vessel ill need (dont know system volume) and its saying that a 20ltr vessel is req'd. Could anyone give me a bit of reassurance to confirm this? my work mate is sayin thats too large?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you cant really go to large, only too small and therefore not provide enough expansion.

20 litres is big and more expensive but if you have the space and believe your calculations to be correct just do it. i see some bigger houses struggle on the usual 8-10 litre vessels.

Stick a 35 litre vessel up in the roof, cover it in fibreglass insulation to stop it freezing. Sometimes the vessel will even sit on top of the cylinder. The system will go for years without needing a top up and the pressure will barely rise on heating leading to far less stress on the system. This size of vessel normally has nice little feet so no wall brackets etc. About £30.00 and double dose the inhibitor would be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Stick a 35 litre vessel up in the roof, cover it in fibreglass insulation to stop it freezing. Sometimes the vessel will even sit on top of the cylinder. The system will go for years without needing a top up and the pressure will barely rise on heating leading to far less stress on the system. This size of vessel normally has nice little feet so no wall brackets etc. About £30.00 and double dose the inhibitor would be a good idea.

Just make sure it's on a good solid base, as a 35L vessel's going to weigh close on 50kg when full, and that's 12.5kg's per 'nice little foot'. Lots of pressure on a very small surface area...

The water in your system will expand by (roughly) four percent from cold to hot.

as a rough guide its about a Ltr /Kw but on dommestic system you can you can get closer.

what you need to be looking at is complete thermal coupling.
that means its doing its job ie the bag pressure is set and it couples :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back