Correct way of fitting new soffits and facia.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of getting quotes for new soffits and facias.
The current ones are wood, rotting in a number of places, plus the guttering has seen better days.

I have had two quotes so far, one £300 more expensive than the other. both providing different ways to fit the new soffits and facias.

The first quote he will remove all old soffits and facias, replace with UPVC with eves trays and replace the felt to the first batten. He wants to use scafolding for safety. 10 year insurance backed guarentee.

The second quote, he will remove old soffits and facias, replace with tannilised wood then UPVC over the top, no mention of eves trays, but did say they would replace felt. They will use ladders.

The more expensive quote is the one with the scaffold.

Can anyone advise which is the correct way? Should new wood be put up first? or just UPVC. :confused:

Many thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
You only need to replace the timber fascia if it is completely rotten and falling apart

I prefer capped fascia, as then in 15-20 years when it needs replacing, there is a sound timber base to fix to, rather than needing to take everything off and start again

Also, I've seen even the thick plastic bow between wide rafter spacings

Also fit eaves tray as part of the job though

Sponsored Links
You only need to replace the timber fascia if it is completely rotten and falling apart

I prefer capped fascia, as then in 15-20 years when it needs replacing, there is a sound timber base to fix to, rather than needing to take everything off and start again

Also, I've seen even the thick plastic bow between wide rafter spacings

Also fit eaves tray as part of the job though

The facias are rotten at the box ends mainly. But also in a few other places too.
Just not sure of the correct way. I thought new timber, which is just on the facia, first then upvc over the top may not be the correct way. Just confused really

1.To do a job like this you would need to use scaffolding.
2. By removing all soffits and facias you can see the state of the wood work and make other repairs if needed.
3. Covering timber with UPVC will only store problems in the future.
4. Plus he mentioned fitting eves trays.
5.Plus with scaffolding you can go up there and check what's going on.

Don't forget plenty of tea and biscuits. It makes a BIG difference, you want your 'builder' to be enjoy working for you.

Also when you have any building work done MAKE SURE YOU ARE HOME.

Just my thoughts.

Andy

Neither of the methods is the "correct" one, as they are two different options

You may well have been given differing quotes (despite the scaffold) as they have two completely different work and material content

As the homeowner, either would be acceptable as long as the eaves tray or work to felt is included. If the one is a lot cheaper, then you could always ask him to include and re-quote for the trays and the scaffold, and vice versa ask the other to quote for timber and capping

But really for any quote, you should ensure that the work content and materials are the same, and then you are comparing like for like

I can't see why a 10 year guarantee would be needed for this type of work - unless the firm is totally rubbish, there is not much to go wrong

if you have any degree off rot on facias or soffits the chances are the timber they are connected to will need fresh timber added to fix to and possibly give full support to the roof structure
so whichever method you use timber replacement and treatment will happen to some extent or orther

Around our way you never see anyone using timber first, but I like the idea as it was originally used to keep the rafters tight.

Ask them both for a few addresses so you can have a quick look from the road at their work.

On new buildings, we always carcass out with timber (fascia) and ply (soffit) then fix fascia cap to the timber carcassing.

What this allows you to do is complete all the roof tiling prior to fitting the decorative fascia cap.

As Woodpulp says, the structural stiffness of having a 20mm timber backing to fix to is reassuring and leaves you with a robust construction.

Thanks guys,
I had never heard of people taking the old wood off, replacing with new and then UPVC over the top. When I have seen it done on other houses it has been remove old and replace with UPVC.

I guess the wood is stronger, although they are only going to put it along behind the facia board. His reasoning was it gives extra strength for the gutter brackets.

He did say the 10 year guarantee isn't a worry as there isn't much to go wrong.
The guy who is going to use scaffold has fitted new windows to my parents house and his workmanship is very good. Never used the other guys. Have done a drive by on one of their jobs though and looks good from the outside.

I have one more person coming around to quote tomorrow. and then is decision time.
Still not sure which one to go with so far, was thinking the guy with the scaffold was probably the better option, but now thinking the wood would be better. :confused:

I have another question, which is better eaves trays or felt when doing this?
As I understand it, either you use the trays or felt, not both. and the end of the eaves tray goes in to the gutter. Is that correct?
At the moment the felt doesn't go in to the gutter, so just wondered.

Also the tiles rest on the current facia board. Would the new UPVC facia be able to take the weight or should something else be put in?

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back