Correct wire for conduit run to workshop shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am new to the forum so please bear with me.

I am looking to run electrics to my shed and have been given plastic conduit left over from work, to run the wiring through, from the house to the shed.
I am thinking of installing a rcd protected c/u with 6A and 16A mcb's but not sure what cable I should use to run from the main c/u in the house, to the shed.

The distance from the c/u to the shed is about 30 - 40 ft. I cannot run the cable under ground as it is concrete between house and shed.

thanks for any guidance you can give

Sponsored Links
thanks, I will check out the links you posted. The shed will not have any heavy load equipment in it, it will basically be a medium bench drill, lighting and 3x twin sockets for hand power tools, and garden tools such as lawnmower etc.

Reading other postings, SWA cable is suggested but as I cannot run the cable underground, hence the use of conduit, this is the reason for wanting to make sure I use the correct cable.

Sponsored Links
surface run SWA might be a better job. PVC conduit can bend and sag with the weather; and unless properly glued/terminated the conduit fittings can let in water.

Whats the diameter of the conduit, personally I dont think singles in plastic outside is too good and you may be limited to get any other cable through it.

I believe the conduit is 20mm, maybe a tadge larger.

I have only used standard interior cable up to now like 'twin & earth' for example, so if I do use SWA cable, does it require special terminals / fittings or is it simply the protective outer coating that is different?

SWA requires a gland kit ie two glands. you can get interior or exterior versions. they are relatively easy to fit but you need to know what you are doing. i'm sure someone here can send you instructions how to fit them.

cleats are used to fix the cable to the surface.

THANK YOU to all of you who have taken a few moments of your time to offer me helpful advice.

I will use SWA and search the forums for further fitting advice.

Once again, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back