Correct wire needed for wiring a caravan away from house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not being an electrician or having much experience with electronics I was wondering what size cable I should use for installing the wiring from the house ( power source) to caravan 100 meters away .... There won't be a lot of current drawn to the van ... Few plug sockets 4 lights or so and a kettle. I would appreciate if someone who knows more could point me in the right direction. I'm planning to get a qualified electrician to wire up in the house it's just to save costs and get the wire laid first to save cost and time.

Many thanks [/b]

Sponsored Links
Ask your electrician. He will need to do come calculations of voltage drop depending on what your max laod will be and the actual distance from the supply to the caravan.

The cable will need to be quite chunky if you ever want your kettle to boil.

and do have fun digging a 400mm deep trench for 100 metres!

... and do have fun digging a 400mm deep trench for 100 metres!
Nah, follow BT's example and use self burying cable :eek: Or use the bright orange or yellow cable with the magical property of being immune to damage because of it's bright colour :rolleyes:

You left out the electrician making an assessment of acceptable earthing arrangements as well.

Sponsored Links
And I was just after an idea for thickness really ... Wondering whether anyone on here has had to do something similar

Speak to your electrician and get his advice - he is the one who will have to sign the paperwork saying he has designed and installed the new circuit.

Also, get him to explain acceptable methods of stringing the cable. Hint, unless designed for the job, "just hanging it up" isn't acceptable.

Oh no it isn't.

For that length of run, you'll need at least 16.0mm² SWA cable just for a supply to boil the kettle.

That's going to weigh well over 100kg.

No electrician in the land will hang this from the trees for you.

For the kind of money you'd be looking at to get a mains supply installed in any halfway acceptable fashion, by the time you consider the cost of cable, switchgear, etc. you could probably buy one of these...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cd5950es-6-0kva-super-silent-diesel-

E2A, Then all you have to do is find a way to stop some b***er nicking it! Fixing it to several tonnes of concrete slab might be a good start.

No electrician in the land will hang this from the trees for you.
I think it's always wise to avoid sweeping generalisations, particularly given that there are electricians and 'electricians' around! Maybe it's the word "will" that ought to be changed :)

Kind Regards, John

A 12 bore out of the caravan window usually does the same trick .... Unfortunately looks like we will have to change ideas though

I thought caravans had those whistling kettles. Or was that just 15 years ago when I last went in a caravan? So gas can power everything except the lighting and a TV. So what cable for a 6 amp supply? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back