Corrosion on aluminium door frame

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Help please.

5 years ago we hade custom made aluminium door frames in our kitchen leading to a stairway. One of the door frames now is showing a small area of corrosion right against the joint to the wall.

The corrosion takes the form of a soft white dry putty like substance which appears to ooze from the joint between the frame itself and the wall. It goes to a semi powder when removed. It also takes the paint off the door frame and there is evidence that the metal is being eaten away underneath.

What can be causing this? the structure the door is fixed to is a brick wall finished with plaster. More importantly what can be done now to prevent this corrosion spreading before it completely ruins the door frame? It was very expensive and I don't relish having to replace it.

Any suggestions or help most welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Dissimilar metals cause galvanic action that makes corrosion ,aluminim and copper/brass do not go well together in a damp environment you could try applying vinegar or lemon juice,and remove any dissimilar metal's ,any brass screw's ,copper pipe

Dissimilar metals cause galvanic action that makes corrosion ,aluminim and copper/brass do not go well together in a damp environment you could try applying vinegar or lemon juice,and remove any dissimilar metal's ,any brass screw's ,copper pipe

Hi - Thanks but no other metals around at all - the brick wall is however very old - some 60 years or so and I was wondering if there was any lime in the mortar which could be doing this? I have seen one other case similar to this again with an aluminum frame which was completely eaten though at the point wheer it was touching an old wall.

Look for outsider ground being built up over d.p.c such as flower beds,drive ways and paving ground level should be no less than 6"below d.p.c(just below door threshold), this could causing the damp problem ,I'm just into a guessing game here,but try the vinegar or lemon juice it cure's calcification or nail sikness in wooden boats if it gasses up your getting a result,

Sponsored Links
Look for outsider ground being built up over d.p.c such as flower beds,drive ways and paving ground level should be no less than 6"below d.p.c(just below door threshold), this could causing the damp problem ,I'm just into a guessing game here,but try the vinegar or lemon juice it cure's calcification or nail sikness in wooden boats if it gasses up your getting a result,

Hmm - Dampness could be an issue as the original building is some 300 years old and the walls and floor in this part don't have any dampcourse. Will try the vinaagar trick as see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back