Corrugated Bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My new house has a "summer house" out the back, the roof has started leaking a bit so given the condition of the roof, I've decided to look at recovering options, currently I like the look of corrugated bitumen - looks a bit more robust than felt?

I've added some photos below so you can have an idea of the construction, would corrugated bitumen be suitable?

Also, if for some crazy reason I decided to DIY, how difficult is it to remove the felt from the rendering (photo shows the attachment)? What is that stuff they have used?! Would I use something similar with the currugated bitumen?

Regards,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
Richard,
I am not a roofer as a post of mine will tell ha ha but my shed was the same condition as yours and i covered it with Coroline(sp) and left the felt on and put it over the top but did not bother with eaves fillers so that it could breathe a little,has 2 corrugations overlap per sheet but watch out for the ends as one side turns up and the other down also use the fixings with the little snap over plastic cup to stop water getting in around the nails,mines been on for 6 years and dry as a bone.

You'll need to sort out some sort of flashing detail as well. The shed looks to be built against the pebbledash of the house and just turning the felt up the wall like that isn't wonderful and makes an ideal entry point for water. I'd go for a lead flashing turned into the wall and pointed with leadmate mastic.
For what it's worth my workshop is covered in coroline sheeting and I've had no problems what so ever although I've not got a flashing dressed down onto it. By the way there is a similiar product called oduline which is basically the same stuff as coroline butof a slightly different profile. They will fit together but not perfectly.

You'll need to sort out some sort of flashing detail as well. The shed looks to be built against the pebbledash of the house and just turning the felt up the wall like that isn't wonderful and makes an ideal entry point for water. I'd go for a lead flashing turned into the wall and pointed with leadmate mastic.
For what it's worth my workshop is covered in coroline sheeting and I've had no problems what so ever although I've not got a flashing dressed down onto it. By the way there is a similiar product called oduline which is basically the same stuff as coroline butof a slightly different profile. They will fit together but not perfectly.
I think the way it's been built is just as you describe - it's a custom built "shed", but placed against the house (with some light weatherproofing), rather than attached to it. It certainly doesn't seem attached in the manner than typical conservatories usually are.

Re: flashing, how deep does it need to be embedded in the wall? Does it need to penetrate into the brick? The render seems about an inch thick, although I guess that's typical...

I think oduline is slightly thicker than coroline, according to a website I was looking at.

Sponsored Links
I've always run flashing at least an inch into the wall, but if your render is that thick you run the risk of damage when wedging it in place. Answer would be to cut the chase (groove) deeper although an alternative I have seen done is to cut the chase wider and form an upstand on the lead inside that chase and fix it to the wall using stainless screws and washers , and then point up with mastic.

Thinking about it if you go with the corrugated type of roof covering you'd be better off forming a secret gutter where it abuts the wall, it'll be a much better and easier junction to form . If you search this forum or google you will come up with details and pictures or maybe some kind person may post a piccy or a link :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back