Cost? Block wall;or 100mm frame,Celotex & pink plasterbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Same size wall (2500 wide, 2400 high), to be a new 'fireproof' (30mins) internal partition wall, dividing a garage into a living room and a garage 'store'. Must also be thermally adequate as it'll be like an external wall (unheated small 'garage' storage area beyond with the existing up and over door).

What will cost more, getting a masonry wall built (suitably rendered for fireproofness, thermal qualities and assuming no expensive foundation work) or a wall with similar properties but consisting of a 100mm frame, in-filled with Celotex and an inner and outer layer of 'pink' plasterboard?

I don't need the actual cost, just how much they'd cost relative to each other.

Any thoughts welcome!

Sponsored Links
Who told you that you need enhanced fireline plasterboard? :rolleyes:

Standard 12.5mm gives the protection you need

A timber wall will be about 1/3 the cost of a masonry one

Woody, it was my understanding that I'd need to get the 'pink plasterboard' to be sufficiently fire compliant! I gather that the new wall has to meet the regulations governing 'fire walls' separating garage space from living space. I admit I'm guessing that they'd require 'pink' over regular plasterboard!

Can I ask if you think a celotex and plasterboard wall will have sufficient insulating properties? Considering it's between a cold, unheated garage and a living room?

I've only ever had experience of such work in Australia where you don't insulate to keep the heat in!

Sponsored Links
Standard 12.5 pb and skim both sides will meet requirements for fire resistance. 100mm celotex will meet requirements for thermal efficiency of an external wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back