Work includes

1. Remove old boiler
2. Remove huge water tank from the room
3. Install new boiler
4. Install new pipes for gas/oven
5. Potterton combi boiler
6. Flush entire heating system

Quote I got for all this is £2200. This includes the boiler too

Is this is a reasonable quote? And also is Potterton boiler any good or shall I go for more like Vaillant boiler?

Its a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom.

Please let me know

Sponsored Links
What do you have now and how is your hot water, do you have a bath? shower? Info would be helpful.

I presume you mean conventional boiler (in the sense of standard efficiency), not condensing boiler. Condensing boilers can be combi or heat only, meaning needing a cylinder for hot water.

It isn't expensive. I would charge that in Brighton for a good quality boiler and a flush.

Sponsored Links
Sorry..currently I have a conventional boiler. Have 1 bathroom with 1 bath (generally used for shower)

Not sure whether to go for Potterton combi boiler or Vaillant combi boiler.

Also whats the best place to buy combi boiler

There are a lot of different makes of boiler.

The prices depend on the size and make of boiler and particularly when cleaning is done to the system.

Your area can also have a significant effect on price too.

In our local area we would suggest a Biasi, Viessmann or basic Vaillant and the price would probably work out at about £1780-£2080 inc. That includes whatever cleaning we consider necessary but we give a full guaranty over dirt.

Not many installers are very happy with current Potterton boilers but the similar but rather cheaper range sold under the Main brand name are often used.

Tony

the price would probably work out at about £1640-£1740 but more if you wanted a Vaillant.

Tony

1. Remove old boiler
2. Remove huge water tank from the room
3. Install new boiler
4. Install new pipes for gas/oven
5. Potterton combi boiler
6. Flush entire heating system

Lot of work for £1,640 Tony

...Not sure whether to go for Potterton combi boiler or Vaillant combi boiler.
Potterton is made in Italy, Vailant in Germany, need I say more?
Downside of Vailant is abominable after sales service, another German built boiler, WB CDI- series, is generally considered to have the best after sales service. SI, I, and junior models are less good.

Also whats the best place to buy combi boiler
Your installer. If you buy the boiler yourself, you will find it hard to get a good installer willing to fit it, and even if you do, he will have no obligation to sort out any problems if they would occur.

Lot of work for £1,640 Tony

Yes you are right.

I had not noticed that it included a conversion to combi which we price at a nominal £400 and that includes replacement float valves as LP ones would usually leak when pressurised.

I have edited my previous posting.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Tony

Seems that price that I am paying is just about fair.

At least I am satisfied that builder is not taking me for a ride. I am also going to ask for Corgi certificate

Many thanks all

...At least I am satisfied that builder is not taking me for a ride. I am also going to ask for Corgi certificate
There is no such thing, and never has been, at least not for householders.
What is it you are after?

Are you suggesting that there is no such thing as builder (or gas installer in this case) taking householder for a ride ??

I just wanted to confirm that money I am paying for my central heating system change is in accordance with market rate...simple

Are you suggesting that there is no such thing as builder (or gas installer in this case) taking householder for a ride ??
:LOL:
No, plenty of builders that can't be trusted, plumbers are all honest of course.
What I meant was: there is no such thing as a corgi certificate, or ever been one for householders, not to do with gas anyway.

The certificates often found, each with its own use and none can be a substitute for any other:

Gas safety certificate, aka landlord certificate, aka cp12; issued after inspection of existing installation.

Commisioning certificate aka benchmark, aka logbook; issued by the chap who installed the boiler to certify he has done it to spec and boiler is performing as expected.

Warrantee certificate; filled out by installer/owner to validate warrantee.

LBA certificate; issued by council upon request of installer or owner. Originally designed to be part of the HIP, but subsequently ditched and therefore of little use. Effectively it is a letter from the council to say that somebody said a boiler was installed correctly; no checks are made.

Where does the certificate sent out by CORGI after they had been notified of the installation fit into your list?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back