Cost of Solar PV panels installation

ban-all-sheds As long as there are enough people in the world, who are not like yourself and can use their brains, then we will realise very soon their will not be much choice.
And when that day comes we will realise that taking away the commercial incentives for companies to innovate by subsidising users of systems that don't actually do any good was a bad idea.

it is the next step on the evolutionary path of how humans live, I bet while the people of pre-history were hitting flints together, Mr Ug was ridiculed when he said his idea for a small device you could carry which would provide flame at the flick of your thumb.
Fine - let Mr Ug develop his device, and make it something realistic.

But don't make the flint-hitters pay more for their flints so that people richer than them can be bribed into buying Mr Ug's device when if they looked at it rationally they wouldn't consider it for a second.

Each one has immediate effect, it removes most of that buildings requirement for mains electricity.
Most?

I have an electric shower.

I have an electric oven.

When it gets dark I like to turn my electric lights on.

This will then be used by (for example) factories and businesses than use their power during the day, thus reducing their dependency.
What will they do when it's dark?

What will they do when it's overcast?

What will they do if their need for electrical power is critical, i.e. if bad things happen if they don't get any?

Scale this up with the kind of investment being put into nuclear and fossil energy sources and the need for any more power stations will be eradicated.

t286233.jpg

Sponsored Links
What's lost on me?

The madness of bribing people to install uneconomic and impractical PV systems on their houses?

Not lost on me at all.

Also, what will happen to the profitability, and/or prices of goods and services, of industries and businesses when they have to buy their electricity from generators who are being paid around 40p/kWh to produce it?

Well, I can see its lost on you bud...
I actually think its the reverse - you quote rubbish without a real understanding of what you are saying.

Start here:
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/Data/Realtime/Demand/demand24.htm
Look at some of the real time and statistical data.
But read between the lines, for example wind power has a current capacity of 1.6GW - in reality it will average around 30% of that at best.
Also look at the difference between what we produce on demand and what we use - the gap is actually widening to the extent that we import electricity from France and the Netherlands on a regular basis.

You haven't really grasped the enormity of the electrical demand in this country and how solar panels contribute a miniscule amount (when its sunny).
It doesn't seem to register with you that economic activity is directly linked to electrical demand. One cannot survive without another.
The reality is that if we are indeed to move to your uptopian green society, by abandoning nuclear and going all windy and sunny, then in order to meet even our current electrical demands using 'green technologies' then we would need a capacity at least three times the current to compensate for days when there is no sun or wind and when it is dark and cold.
As Germany is now finding out, abandoning nuclear power in favour of green technology, simply results in the importation of electricity from other countries and a reduction in economic activity.

Sponsored Links
Light bulbs are phased into energy efficient versions as we speak, some don't like it, but its exactly my point that we cope, we understand why its happening
I don't.

Do you?

If so, can you explain why I can't buy bulbs with which I could light a room with 100-120W, but I can buy the type which will require me to have 600-700W?

There is the technology to produce enough energy from green sources, what there is not enough of is support for it.
What is this technology?
And by 'enough' do you mean enough for the UK's current electricity requirements (about 60GW) ?

a power station costs roughly £26,000,000,000 to build, plus time it takes to build and the cost to run.
That's a pretty big station. At £3,000 per kW, you'd get a 9GW nuclear station for that money (Sizewell B is 1.2GW). Nuclear can generate for 8,500 hours a year, so this station could generate 80TWh a year.

You could install 1.3 million to 2.0 million solar arrays on houses for that.
At 2.25kW per house, say, that's a total of 4.5GW. For generation of 1,500kWh per year per kW you'll generate a total of 6.75TWh a year.

So, for equivalent generation rather than cost, you'd have to install 24 million solar arrays. That's not possible because the number is far higher than the number of houses in the UK.

Scale this up with the kind of investment being put into nuclear and fossil energy sources and the need for any more power stations will be eradicated.
Sadly, no. The fact is that UK maximum demand occurs around 5.15 p.m. on a December weekday. It has for many years. So there's no question of installing PV as an alternative to fossil/nuclear, you have to have either the latter or both.

Its like weaning a baby of milk, you do it gradually so the transition works. Because you cant go from one to the other straight away.
That is fine if there is sufficient non milk food to feed the baby, if there isn't the baby dies.

Light bulbs are phased into energy efficient versions as we speak, some don't like it, but its exactly my point that we cope, we understand why its happening, and guess what! OUR LIGHTS STILL WORK...
Yes they work and we will learn to cope with the toxic materials that these new lamps are putting into the environment. And people who suffer medical harm from the new "efficient" light sources will learn to cope. I doubt it.

but I do live in this country and I am worried that if we don't pull our fingers out soon we will be in a whole heap of ***t.
A heap of toxic waste lamps that have metal that is banned from other household items. You cannot have mercury sealed in batteries but you must have it in breakable glass tubes hanging over your heads. Double standards or government clutching at straws and ignoring the full picture.

Please note rule 1 (Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.) - See here for the forum rules.
an abusive post has been removed
Interesting that kuytd may call me a blithering idiot but I may not call him a twit.

Why the double standards and favouritism, I wonder?

Anyway...

So instead of building new plants, build solar, it does not need to be sunny, as they work very well on dark days too.
You idiot.

On dark days the average domestic solar PV system can't boil a kettle.

kuytd appears to have changed his mind about everything he wrote here, and retracted the lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back