Cost of Solar PV panels installation

The payment is for a 25 year term, in the form of a contract. Whilst the Government could stop the FiT anytime they wish, they cannot alter the terms they have contractually agreed with existing owners of PV systems.
Oh yes they can.

Let's hope they do.

Sponsored Links
That's easy to say on an internet forum.

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia(!)

As of 2011, feed-in tariff policies have been enacted in over 50 countries, including in Algeria, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iran, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kenya, the Republic of Korea, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey

There doesn't seem to be any history of FiT being reversed contractually, here is the link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed-in_tariff

But perhaps I am underestimating you, could you enlighten us?

What I meant was that the Government is free to pass any new legislation it wishes, at any time, so it could pass legislation to cancel all FIT contracts.

No previous legislation could prevent that because no previous laws are allowed to impinge on the freedom of Parliament.

Yes - they might face legal challenges, but again it is not easy for the courts to frustrate the will of Parliament.

There doesn't seem to be any history of FiT being reversed contractually
http://www.solarserver.com/solar-ma...in-tariff-sparks-solar-industry-response.html

Sponsored Links
Those examples make interesting reading.

The Spanish newspage did not go into any detail about what was being cut and to whom, I think it may refer to large scale PV on commercial projects.

The Australian example was also not clear; the journalist who installed the panels only to find he was not going to get a FiT also made a reference to the fact that he may have been a bit late. In other words, he may have missed the boat.

Look, i am not trying to justify the social side of this, And i don't believe in global warming. The elephant in the room is overpopulation, the rest is all fiddling while Rome burns.

But we have a business to run, you guys fit 100s of halogen downlighters, i fit boiler systems for water intensive shower users.

I see Solar PV as the first energy saving product where a customer WILL get their investment back. it won't make a positive difference to the World in real terms, but then our elected politicians arent going to do that either.

And i don't believe in global warming.
Then by definition there is absolutely no point in trying to discuss anything with you which requires you to have intelligence or scientific awareness.

Goodbye.

And i don't believe in global warming.
Then by definition there is absolutely no point in trying to discuss anything with you which requires you to have intelligence or scientific awareness.

Really? And I thought the extent that mankind is affecting the climate was a still far from absolutely determined by the scientific community at present. If someone has theories and evidence that gives some weight to them, even if they are then later proved wrong, then that is still a scientific process.

Rebuking someones viewpoint with the cry of "thats not scientific" without explaining why that should be is not helpful

He said nothing about mankind's influence on global warming.

He said he doesn't believe in it.

No doubt he doesn't believe in ice-ages, volcanoes or earthquakes either.

I wonder when someone will decide to fraud fit by linking the i/c supply at 12p kwh to the fit unit paying 43p kwh :D

1. Coal, Gas and oil will at some point all run out. and before then the reduced supply will make them way way more expensive.
And when that happens our lives will have changed beyond recognition.

The world's population will be a lot smaller - with no oil for fertilisers food production will plummet even without the assistance of global warming.

There is absolutely no way that we will be able to continue anything like our current way of life with only renewable energy sources. And the loss of oil will probably also mean the loss of infrastructure to manufacture and service solar PV panels and the loss of infrastructure to distribute the power.

2. Nuclear energy is possibly the most dangerous thing being developed currently, that is not directly meant as a weapon. As you can see from Fukishima (or however it is spelt) etc, one slip and you devastate huge areas for hundreds of years. We should not become dependent on it.
Fingers crossed for fusion then.. ;)

3. Do you really want to be paying companies who make massive profits for your energy, when you could produce your own?..
a) I can't produce my own, not economically, and not to meet my demand cycle.
b) I don't want to be paying companies who make massive profits even more so that they can buy pitifully useless amounts of electricity at stupidly high prices.

And did Bentleys get better because governments made cyclists pay more for their bikes so that the purchase of Bentleys could be subsidised?

Or did it happen because car makers began to compete with each other to make their products better and cheaper?

And even if we do manage to develop solar panels which are so efficient that we can cover the roofs of houses with small fixed orientation ones that will generate 10's of kW in the dark, how will that help to replace all the other uses of oil?

2. Nuclear energy is possibly the most dangerous thing being developed currently, that is not directly meant as a weapon.
Possibly being the important word there.

Nuclear generated power tends to be reliable and does not pollute while it is being generated.

As you point out, all things improve given time and experience and the same is happening in the nuclear energy industry.

3. Do you really want to be paying companies who make massive profits for your energy, when you could produce your own?..
But can you produce and store enough when it possible to produce for the time when you cannot produce. PV works in daylight, at night is when you need power for lights. Wind turbines create power when the wind blows. They do not generate on days when it is bitterly cold and there is no wind. Neither do they generate when the wind is too strong ( they shut down for safety reasons ) or when there is any risk of ice forming on the blades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back