Cost of waste soil removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm after a little advice. I've got about 7cu meters of soil to take out of foundations trench and at least twice that to take out the garden, thanks to other neighbours dumping their soil into my garden before I bought the place.

I've been quoted to hire a lorry which a 4ton load capacity. I've been quoted £250 for the lorry for the day + £25 a load. Guys quoting assumes 5 loads based on 8 mile round trip dump site assuming the amount of guys I've got loading the stuff into the lorry. I'm working on about £375 for about 15 - 20 ton. This is now looking expensive compared to other prices I've seen on here.

What do you guys think?

James

Sponsored Links
put it on gumtree, ebay and freecycle free ads, local papers etc.....

free to collector and people will have it away.

I just went and dug a load out of someones garden.

Rob

Ask for a quote from a Grab Lorry operator. 8 wheeler should take approx 19t in one go, and lorry will load itself assuming load is available within easy reach. Bear in mind weight will increase if soil is wet.

Ask for a quote from a Grab Lorry operator. 8 wheeler should take approx 19t in one go, and lorry will load itself assuming load is available within easy reach. Bear in mind weight will increase if soil is wet.

This was the best way my mate done his drive

Sponsored Links
Grab lorry every time.

So long as you have a loading bay then this is the most economical way of moving spoil in domestic (non-civil) situations.

Thanks all for your replies. Unforutnatly, I've only got a very small front garden, 3*4 meters. I dont think i'll get 19t in it :(

Price for a grab lorry is £190+VAT

Think I may end up paying over the odds due to lack of space.

Could be worth talking to a skip company. If its clean topsoil they may do a deal.

thanks guys, it's a bit of a mix and match due to the soil being dumped in there from neighbours extensions. I've put an add on freecycle and ebay. Hopefully someone will be interested in some. Lorry booked for Saturday but wont be able to get it all done. Every little helps.

Well it looks like bloody rain Saturday and Sunday and lots of it! I can see this all going horribly wrong!!

nearly a week ago now but shifted best part of 30 tons by wheel barrow last saturday! Army of men and a digger loading it into barrows to go down the side of the house up ply sheets into the side of the lorry!!!

i had VERY understanding neighbours. 6 sheets of ply on the road. several guys one digger. 48 tonnes. All onto the ply, and then along comes the grab lorry. We did it in a LONG day. Beer bought for neighbours. Sleep for us !

Remember that the volume of soil will increase over what you have calculated you need to remove ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back