Cost to replaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the North West of England, I have just got a quote for carrying out remedial work on our living room due to damp.

We engaged an independent Surveyor who confirmed our problem was due to rising damp and as I say we now have a quote to rectify this.

The company who provided the quote are on the local council approved trader list and seem to have positive feedback on work carried out - I have no doubt that they will do a good job.

The issue I have is with the cost quoted to hack off existing plaster and then replaster the area once the DPC is completed, I have measured the area that is involved and it comes to 20sqMetres (if I am being generous).

The cost for this is shown on his quote as follows :-

PLASTERWORK

To replace all contaminated plasterwork indicated in green on our enclosed survey plan, with sand/cement base coat incorporating a Safeguard waterproofing additive. Final coat to be skimmed finish.

TOTAL COST OF LABOUR & MATERIALS..............£1300 +vat.

This equates to £65+vat per sq Metre.

Reasonable or taking the mickey?

House is 100 years old BTW

Sponsored Links
Get another couple of quotes and compare them,,, i would. Never go for just one quote unless you want that particular person to do the job. Also, being on a council approved list doesn't mean that much really. There's probably better tradesmen out there who are not on the list.

Thanks,

This is part of remedying a damp problem as stated, I have no doubt that he will do a good job and the other parts of the quote he supplied seem totally reasonable - actually carrying out the Damp proofing, removing and fixing skirtings etc.

I just cannot reconcile a cost of £65 +vat per sq metre for hacking off and re-plastering, am I wrong in thinking this is way out of line?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back