Could Woodstove Burn Plasterboard Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I want to install a wood stove in my house in Spain. It would be a straightforward task except that I want the 2" diametre flue to pass through a 1" thick plasterboard wall before exiting the house, in order for the woodstove to also heat up the adjacent room at the same time. I am worried that the plasterboard might catch alight. What basic steps should I take to avoid this, e.g. if there was a 2" gap all around the flue from the plasterboad would that be sufficient? I am not sure exactly what the composition of the plasterboard is. The floor of my house is porcelain tile.

Here is a diagram of my conundrum...

chimney_problem.jpg

Any advice would be great,

Leao

Sponsored Links
i am about to install one in my house ,,,, if u google selkirk flues ,you will see systems on that ,,,in spain poss will be diff regs tho ,,, where my flue passes threw the wall ,,which is timber as a kit wall i have to box flue in with firewall ,,,hope this helps

also u have to take off the plater board that there ,,ie around the fire and replace with firewall plasterboard ,,, u get that from merchants little more cost than normal board ,,but again the spec over in spain will be different

Sponsored Links
also u have to take off the plater board that there ,,ie around the fire and replace with firewall plasterboard
Hi Gus, do you mean I have to take the entire wall down and replace it with firewall plasterboard? If that's not what you mean, is it possible to remove and replace only the section near to the fireplace? Also do you have the exact URL for the "selkirk flues system" that you also referred to?

Many thanks, Leao

what i am doing is ,,, just taking a section ov board out ,, just abouve floor hight and below ceiling hight ,,and roufly 4foot across its the pink colour plasterboard here u see in merchants ,,, i have a print out ov the flues here ,, il go see if i can get the url for it

www.flue-liner.com /////// go there and click on chimney system ... it opens up a page on different walls ,,,but that just shows the flues ,,,not the regs ,,, i went into a stove shop and found all that out ,,,hope this helps

www.flue-liner.com /////// go there and click on chimney system ... it opens up a page on different walls ,,,but that just shows the flues ,,,not the regs ,,, i went into a stove shop and found all that out ,,,hope this helps
Thanks Gus but sounds a rather complex, essentially what I want to know is if a 2" gap between the plasterboard and the flue is safe?

Cheers, Leao

i was told that it has to be at least 50mm clearance ov all combustable materials ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back