/counter battens / eaves tray need help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone tell me what the fixing detail is for a a counter battens for my replacement clay tile roof, is it 300mm centres or does it demand on other factors,
Also the roofing supplier has suggested i use an eaves tray, how is this kept in place, also the felt has to overlap the tray by 150mm, how is the felt kept in place :?:

thanks
mike

Sponsored Links
1) The counter battens are normally fixed in line with the rafters

2) Nails

3) Nails

You say it is a replacement roof so are you confusing counter battens with the normal [horizontal] tile laths?

The laths are spaced at centres depending on the tile overlap, which in turn depends on the distance from the eaves to the ridge to ensure each course is evenly spaced and no cut tiles at the ridge.

The eaves tray is first nailed to the fascia and rafters and the felt goes on top. The felt is kept in place by the nails and the laths.

Hav a look at the Redland or Marley websites for details

thanks for info
Ive just read my questions and they dont make sense, i was in a rush, anyway, the tyvek supro felt suggest to use counter battens onto rafters prior to installing horizontal battens, are the counter battens required and what is the nasil centres to hold the counter battens in place

thanks

Sponsored Links
Counter-battens are generally used if there is some kind of boarding under the felt (otherwise water will collect where the horizontal battens are held flat to the felt). The counterbattens give a space under the tiling battens.

Are you having an insulating board or something under the tiles?

You are probably misreading the Tyvek literature.

Typically, breather membranes such as Tyvek are used on warm or boarded roof designs, which require counterbattening. If you are just replacing traditional felt then you just replace it and put the laths back the same as they were before you took them off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back